Macrium Reflect 7 - Free edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

wllmgrms

Estimable
Feb 20, 2015
Hey guys,

I'm running into a weird problem with this software. It may actually be common, but I have not found a fix for it on the internet yet, so I'm turning to TH.

I have a 160GB Source drive (Windows 10 Pro) that I am cloning to a 1TB Destination drive. It clone's fine, although it only partitions what it needs to give an exact match of the 160GB drive, and leaves 800GB+ unallocated. As you can imagine, I want all of that unallocated 800GB+ to be included into the main partition. The source drive I am cloning only has 5-6GB's free, which is why I am trying to clone it. Disk management will not allow me to extend the volume, and when I try to it tells me there is not enough disk space to do so.

Does anyone have experience with this? I'm wondering if it's a limitation of the free version.

aquielisunari

Distinguished

Can you use another program https://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm to create another partition?

The reason it is probably saying the drive doesn't have enough space is because the recovery partition is right next to volume C:.

wllmgrms

Estimable
Feb 20, 2015

I have not tried that. Although I have tried MiniTool Partition Wizard Free, to attempt to move the unallocated to the system volume, which it appeared to do fine, but now Windows will not boot. Macrium has no settings I could even attempt to mess with about this issue.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
The other way to do this is to redo the clone but not clone the partition that is to the right of the main partition. So you have a small system partition, then the main partition (C: likely) and the another one, maybe called recovery. Just uncheck that one when you are doing the clone. Boot to the new drive and you will see the unallocated 800GB still but you will be able to extend the main partition.

wllmgrms

Estimable
Feb 20, 2015

It wont let me extend the volume while I am booted to the 1TB drive. When I am booted to the 160GB drive, and go into Disk Management, it acts like it will let me extend the volume, but then says there is not enough space.

Status
Not open for further replies.