Mahalo CEO Explains Why Company Employed a Felon

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin0642

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
People need to ask themselves if jail time is meant to punish, rehabilitate, or just make us all feel the justice was served. Keeping people under the heel of society because of past mistakes that have already been accounted for is bad form.

Cheers for Malaho. If he can do the job, and is qualified, then good. We need to stop pretending everyone is a boy scout and accept people, warts and all, and let people live their lives without constantly reminding them of their lowest point in life. They already wish it never happened.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]martin0642[/nom]... They already wish it never happened.[/citation]

Thats the key point right there. ASSUMING, they wish it never happened, and that they regret their mistakes. If, on the other hand, the only thing they regret is getting caught, they are more than likely going to do it again in the future.

I'm not saying thats the case here, all I'm saying is you have to be considerate of peoples actions in the past (criminal or otherwise), rather than just assume that time heals all wounds.

Its a fine line to walk along, and in the end, if he had lost his job, he would only have himself to blame.

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
I would also give him a job if I could, even if I knew that he was convicted, he is smart for sure and he can get the job done. If he did a second felony I would send him back to prison myself. But I would give him a chance to change in the first place.

He was not convicted for rape/murder after all...

havo

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
I have never met a Cyber criminal that was in any way repentant or would even admit they did anything wrong besides being caught. They will break the law again the second they have a chance to do so. I personally thing the US government should have a law saying that no one convicted of cyber crime can even be employed to work for the government at a computer related job. I would also like to see an addition to that if you want to do any business with the US government you must adopt the same policy.

We do not let child molesters become camp councilors for a very good reason. This is the same thing.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]havo[/nom]I have never met a Cyber criminal that was in any way repentant or would even admit they did anything wrong besides being caught.[/citation]
How many "Cyber criminal" have you met?

It is very unfair to assume people don’t regret their mistakes. I am sure sometime in your life you had done something you wish you hadn’t.
I agree with martin0642, kudos to Malaho.

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
the fault lay with his CTO, Mark Jeffery, who screwed up by not doing a simple Google search
on John’s name

Sorry but why would a background check fall with in the duties of a chief technology officer?
I would assume who ever hired him directly and did not perform a simple background check would be to blame. (HR, department managers)

ricin

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
It's not the ones you know about that should worry you. It's the ones that haven't been caught yet that should be your concern. At least people know to keep an eye on the guy. I don't see a problem with it.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I hate the background checks now. Even the smallest of companies with nothing to need it do a background check and fire people for Speeding Tickets. It must suck to be a felon, constantly getting denied jobs because of breaking the law once. They served their judgement, why must the continued to be punished.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
FYI: The FBI employs quite a bit of people like him. Why? Because they(hackers,etc) can actually get the job done quickly and effectively. On the right side of the law, people like these are quite a powerful tool.

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
First its "Malaho", then "Mahalo"

Which one is it?

Make up your mind, proof your work, and get an editor that can actually read. Otherwise people are less inclined to take your articles seriously, or even read them.

Status
Not open for further replies.