Making firefox stop using the hdd when browsing

BadNight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
I've moved the profiles and cache to a ramdrive, but firefox still keeps accessing my drive anyway. It originally used 30% if I clicked through lots of pages with large images on them, but now went down to 5% after moving the profile. I know it's using the ramdisk because I have the original folders still in place and only the ramdisk versions are getting updated.

Would reinstalling the program itself to the ramdrive stop it completely, or would it still end up accessing my main drive anyway because the appdata is stuck where the os is?

1) How much system memory do you have? (i.e. DDR3)

If you don't have much then it's forced to write to the HDD which can also slow things down. My dad's laptop only has 2GB with Windows 10 and it works quite well if I don't have too many TABS open.

2) How did you determine it is the HDD itself?

30% of your hard drive seems incredibly unlikely. Actually, impossible as that's 20GB of a 60HDD. Are you sure you don't mean the system memory instead?

3) I don't appear to be using my SSD when browsing. It's only using my system memory.

BadNight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
I have 16gb ddr3 ram. I know it's the hdd because I watched it in the performance tab in task manager. I can also hear it accessing. As soon as I spammed a chapter in a manga reading website, it jumped to 30% usage, then went back to 0 when I stopped. It decreased to like 5% now after moving the ff profile to the ramdisk, but redoing the test still makes it access the hdd.

Firefox is using 350mb ram atm, but when I start fast clicking through those pages again (or any page for that matter), the usage will jump up and down to 5%. Despite firefox currently using the ramdisk as cache/profile disk, the ramdisk doesn't show any movement whatsoever. Only the hdd is reacting. Even the other hdd I'm using as the save location of the ramdisk isn't showing any movement.

The only thing I can think of at this point is either windows firewall/avast trying to filter stuff, but I don't think that should require the hdd.