Malware randomly opened tabs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daj

Estimable
Jan 5, 2016
While I was watching a Youtube video a random tab opened up and completely froze my browser. After I closed and reopened Chrome I went to my history to see that within the same minute something had opened up like 500+ tabs to the same site. This is the first time this has happened and was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how to get rid of whatever caused this.

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
That's quite an overkill coming from adware. Try the following and see if you get positive results:

1. Check your browser for any add-ons or extensions you do not recognize and remove them.
2. Check your installed programs and see if there isn't anything suspicious that was installed lately (If there is, simply remove them).
3. Install any popular antivirus and do a quick scan (Majority of the providers do have free versions of their software). Or just use Windows Defender. It works really well in most cases.
4. Install and scan your PC with Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro to clean most adware.

atomicWAR

Distinguished
Herald
Sep 4, 2007

I have but it is rare. Some embedded youtube pages have been affected. A quick search will show as much and other videos have had this issue for some time.

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
As AtomicWAR said, if the video was embedded on another website, it could have various custom hooks that lead to viruses upon clicking to watch that video. Forums and other places might have such traps.

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
Hopefully, OP is still interested in solving the problem, let us know how it goes.

To Mdd, I only recently was aware of that, when I went on my weekly random website to hunt for suspicious things. Upon analyzing embedded video, I saw that it had an event hooked on click, that would redirect you to a website or pop-up an ad, so that was interesting. I wonder what more can you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.