Man Swallows USB Drive to Destroy Evidence

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheepstuff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
I thought it was illegal to perform an operation without his consent. so how could they have scheduled an operation before he agreed to it? i guess it doesn't matter anyway because if that drive refused to come out, he would be begging for the anyway operation soon enough.

twisted politiks

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]Hmm... wtf? Why didn't he just break the drive in half (unless it's a metal encased Flash drive)? Just saying....[/citation]

all this would do would be to prolong the 'USSS' a little while considering you dont need the pcb or anything else but the flash modules, which are about [ ] actual size, give or take a few mm's. and even if you did break the actual flash module, they could still grab part of the data from the intact pieces.

depending on what information was on that flash drive, he might have been smart to try and destroy it. obstruction of justice might get him in trouble, but the information on that flash drive could have been a lot worse. we may never know :)

shadowryche

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
I once had a vet bring me a flash drive she recovered from a Mastiff. I cleaned it with rubbing alcohol, and it ended up working fine. How ever it was in the dog maybe 12 hours max.

dasper

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
I could be wrong but the only secretion from gastric acid strong enough to dissolve a USB drive is hydrochloric acid and there is not enough of it or time to fully dissolve it. Depending on where the stick got lodged in the GI tract, it may still be operational. Would suck for him to still have the evidence against him as well as the charge for obstruction.

guitarpeggio

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]cheepstuff[/nom]I thought it was illegal to perform an operation without his consent. so how could they have scheduled an operation before he agreed to it? i guess it doesn't matter anyway because if that drive refused to come out, he would be begging for the anyway operation soon enough.[/citation]

You have no rights in jail. Them's the breaks.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]polly the parrot[/nom]Also, wouldn't the hydrochloric acid in the stomach probably destroy the circuit board on the flash drive if its been in there for 4 days?[/citation]
Naw, while there is HCl present in stomach acid, it's so dilute (

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Gah, the comment function ENTIRELY failed there... It clipped 99% of the comment. Apparently, even though, last I knew, HTML wasn't allowed in comments, it still tries to semi-parse them, and use of the "less than" and "greater than" signs will break comments.

Sadly, I thought it posted fine, so I will have to re-write a simpler version...
[citation][nom]polly the parrot[/nom]Also, wouldn't the hydrochloric acid in the stomach probably destroy the circuit board on the flash drive if its been in there for 4 days?[/citation]
While there is HCl (hydrochloric acid) in stomach acid, it's so dilute (less than 1%) that the pH level is 1-2.0, only a bit less than the levels found with common food/cooking acids, like citric acid, phosphoric acid, (carbonated soft drinks) and acetic acid. (vinegar) And far weaker than battery acid, (which has a negative pH level)

The plastic in PCBs are usually an aromatic polymer, a kind of material that's known for incredible durability and resistance to heat and chemicals. (DuPont's 'Kevlar' is an example of one) Resistance to acid is likewise part of their features. After all, vinegar, lemon juice, and sodas typically come in plastic bottles, and even in lead-acid car batteries, you'll have many plastic components exposed to the acid therein, and they last just fine.

Overall, the stuff is far more resistant than, say, steel. I'd imagine that the drive is likely just fine, provided it is cleaned/dried first to make sure it doesn't short itself when plugged in. If there were some steel parts, they might be corroded, though, (like the USB plug itself) but the contacts are likely copper or gold, and hence far more resistant.

G

been easier just to have the drive encrypted and tactically forget your password.....

Status
Not open for further replies.