Solved! Marine on his way to the Mountainous Suck: Hp Envy 15

anthonyantonio

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
I recently purchased a refurbished HP Envy 15 Model: 15-1066nr. I want to upgrade the RAM (currently have 6GB). Guides say 4 slots but I only see 2 w/out completely taking it apart. Also would like to replace the HD with a great SSD around 500GB. Also I cannot find a replacement/higher capacity battery (it came with a 6-cell). Finally this "beast" gets hot very fast. The fan is loud, but not to the point where its unbearable. Thing is it's only on for a certain amount of time. Is it possible to override this feature and make it so have the fan continuously run at a higher speed. Thank you all.

Solution
Hello anthonyantonio;

The other two RAM slots are on the motherboard and should already be filled.
I really don't think a RAM upgrade will do much for you. 6GB is a lot.

What performance issue are you trying to tackle with the RAM upgrade?

Try setting the fan to "Always on" in BIOS. That should get rid of the surging.

warren024

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011

500 GB SSDs are pretty spendy for laptops (upwards of $1200):

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008117%20600038492&IsNodeId=1&name=500GB&SpeTabStoreType=3

If you are budget minded a hybrid drive may be a better deal ($119):

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=seagate+hybrid+drive

I'm not sure about your other issues for your Envy. Also make sure that the parts I'm linking are compatible with your system (they are laptop drives and should be standard, but I don't know the Envy specs without looking them up).

Hello anthonyantonio;

The other two RAM slots are on the motherboard and should already be filled.
I really don't think a RAM upgrade will do much for you. 6GB is a lot.

What performance issue are you trying to tackle with the RAM upgrade?

Try setting the fan to "Always on" in BIOS. That should get rid of the surging.

Solution

anthonyantonio

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011

Thank you for responding. I am hoping the upgraded RAM will help aleviate the heat issue as well as give me better battery life. Those are really by products though. I will be taking alot of HD video of my chronicles and definitely feel the added RAM will beef up the editing process.

And finally the fan. I tried accessing the BiOS, but all I can get is the hp system information. Trying to find out the motherboard maker so I can nail down the correct push button sequence at start up. Seems like its a never ending task to fully customize a pc.

Extra RAM will increase heat production and further decrease battery life. Not by much, but it won't improve the thermal and electrical loads.

On most laptops the BIOS is F2 at startup.

anthonyantonio

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011

F2 on start up is just bringing up system information info. Any other ideas?

It's F10 to get into the BIOS on the HP Envy

hpef.jpg