Massive laptop overheating

AUGAlexander

Prominent
Jun 18, 2017
Hello.

I've been experiencing isues with my laptop temperature while gaming, aswell as massive framerate drops and plenty of lag spikes/microstuttering.

Before you ask, yes, I have cleaned up my laptop. There was actually a lot (and I mean a lot) of dust inside and it was generally just very dirty. I cleaned everything and replaced the thermal paste, hoping something would happen. Nope. I thought for sure that was the reason behind my overheating, but Speccy showed temperature literally the same as before I cleaned up the laptop.

Many games that I play such as Counter Strike: Global Offensive or Overwatch work absolutely fine on low settings, even breaking 60fps at times. However, the laptop starts rapidly heating up from 50℃ to somewhere around 80℃, and after a few minutes of gameplay the lag kicks in. It doesn't help that it takes almost half an hour to actually get back to 50℃ after exiting the game.

I tried everything, even getting a professional cooling pad, but no luck.

Here are my specifications:

GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GT 720M
CPU: Intel(R) Core (TM) i3-3217U CPU @ 1.80GHz
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. X550CC
4GB RAM

Here's the usual temperature I get while playing for those who are wondering: https://i.gyazo.com/1ce67e669cf90696152db2e865717e9a.png

Is there anything I can do about this? Thanks.

Solution
Good advice but a Core i3 does not use Intel Turbo Boost so using ThrottleStop to disable this is not going to change anything.

Either your laptop has a completely inadequate cooling solution or you didn't do a good enough job when you replaced the thermal paste. The heatsink has to make firm contact with the CPU. Some laptops use thermal pads and if you remove one of these, it can change how the heatsink contacts the CPU. You are going to have to pull your laptop apart again and do some engineering to try and get your core temperatures down; CPU and GPU. Your heatsink could also be bent or damaged.

AUGAlexander

Prominent
Jun 18, 2017

Unfortunately, I have not noted any visible difference in perfomance or temperature.

unclewebb

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
Good advice but a Core i3 does not use Intel Turbo Boost so using ThrottleStop to disable this is not going to change anything.

Either your laptop has a completely inadequate cooling solution or you didn't do a good enough job when you replaced the thermal paste. The heatsink has to make firm contact with the CPU. Some laptops use thermal pads and if you remove one of these, it can change how the heatsink contacts the CPU. You are going to have to pull your laptop apart again and do some engineering to try and get your core temperatures down; CPU and GPU. Your heatsink could also be bent or damaged.

Solution