MBP turns off after few seconds, wont turn on when plugged in

Franko330

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
Hi,

I have a MacBook Pro A1268 mid 2012 that I bought second hand not long ago. I had to sell it recently as I desperately needed the money but the buyer wanted to return it after a week.

The MacBook now will not power up. When plugged into the magsafe a strange repeating clicking noise comes from the side that it's plugged into and it won't turn on at all, literally no response when I press the power button.

When not plugged in the macbook powers on for a few seconds, I hear the chime, then it turns off instantly. The battery is fully charged.

I have tried reseting the SMC, swapping hard drives, unplugging the battery and leaving overnight but nothing has helped.

Does anyone know where the fault might lie and what I might be able to do to resolve this (besides taking to an apple store)?

Thanks

MrSentry

Estimable
Jun 14, 2014
I have never heard of this before, but it seems like your battery may be cooked. If at all possible, I would try to find someone with the exact same laptop and try using their battery. If this is not possible, I would recommend going to apple and asking them what the problem is. I would not go out and invest in a new battery, because that may not be the problem. Either way, even though you are looking for a solution quickly without going to an apple store, I would highly recommend doing so, because it seems suspicious that the buyer returned it broken, especially if it was working well when you sold it to them. Apple should be able to tell you what part has failed, and they might even be able to tell you if it was caused by somebody rather than a malfunction inside the system.

Franko330

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
Just as an update,

I bought a replacement battery and Magsafe board to try and rectify the problem, but the problems still persisted.

I forgot to mention that when I bought the MacBook it came with a damaged charger (the outer casing had come torn away from the actual wiring near the magsafe).

So my theory is that the logic board was damaged by condensation due to the buyer not leaving it long enough to power it up after delivery, or the logic board was damaged by the broken charger. Either way I've lost a fair amount of money