Mcafee constantly updating and scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toby Anderson

Estimable
Aug 2, 2014
I have been using the 'much loved' mcafee for a couple of years now as I have never experienced the problems others have described. Until now. I have had this subscription for about half a year and it has been fine, then randomly it has started constantly 'Checking for Updates' and running a full computer scan hogging all my CPU. It completely ignores any sort of schedule and the updates continue even if I turn them off. I didn't find much of this problem when I looked it up, but someone did say that it is possible that a virus has attached itself to my mcafee. Is this possible?
I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and that didn't help. If this continues I will remove mcafee and get some free software.
Thanks in advance

Solution
If you uninstalled and totally reinstalled McAfee, it is unlikely that some virus has infested it (they usually do not want you to uninstall, reinstall, whatever antivirus software).
It sounds more like it is detecting something on your machine, benign or not. Let it go through the full computer scan and then see if the problem disappears.
I've had Windows Defender in Windows 10 do that constantly scanning thing and the vast majority of the time, it is doing that because it has detected something and wants to remove/quarantine it.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
If you uninstalled and totally reinstalled McAfee, it is unlikely that some virus has infested it (they usually do not want you to uninstall, reinstall, whatever antivirus software).
It sounds more like it is detecting something on your machine, benign or not. Let it go through the full computer scan and then see if the problem disappears.
I've had Windows Defender in Windows 10 do that constantly scanning thing and the vast majority of the time, it is doing that because it has detected something and wants to remove/quarantine it.

Solution

Toby Anderson

Estimable
Aug 2, 2014

Thanks for the reply. I will try this, but I also put this problem on the McAfee forums and got a response from a moderator saying that what it is is a bug in the program and the developers are working on a fix. Although I will let it run a full scan.

Status
Not open for further replies.