Microphone input suddenly stops working, lots of troubleshooting, help?

Jimmybeam

Estimable
Sep 15, 2015
I've read a lot of threads online and the first response is always something ridiculous, here is the issue and my troubleshooting so far:

I've had this PC about 3 years, a Sennheiser u320 headset. During a skype call, my microphone suddenly stopped transmitting. I figured.. shit headset dead again. But the sound continued working.

The first thing I did was pull the usb out of the port, re-plugin. Didn't work so I plugged it into a different port, then I decided to plug it into a back port. Then I swapped my keyboard to a different port, plugged in my headset. No change. I checked skype audio settings, I lifted/lowered the boom a dozen times to make sure the "mute" feature wasn't stuck. I checked all the audio settings. I unchecked and rechecked default communication device for my headset. I disabled and enabled it. I disabled and enabled my microphone. I muted/unmuted it in windows. I checked and unchecked allow software to take control of a device. I tested my mic in windows, I tried to play my mic input back through my headset and my TV/monitor. I tested it in skype, I called skype echo test service, I called 3 people on skype. I plugged in a 3.5mm headset and the mic also did not work. Nothing has worked. I have updated every driver on my computer with an update available, literally ran and cleaned my computer with software in every possible way I can. Just in case.

So, I can't think of anything else, every thread is like "bro make sure your headset isnt muted!!!" Maybe somebody more informed on hardware/software issues may be able to help me out at this point. Again, this headset and many others has always worked fine. There was nothing out of the ordinary going on when this happened. It legitimately and suddenly just "stopped working."

Cheers

Jimmybeam

Estimable
Sep 15, 2015
So additionally, I was able to get a 3.5 mm headset to work. I found a few things online that said removing plug and play drivers may work but I can't find them in the INF File, the driver details on the headset in system are all reg locations rather than inf locations.