Microsoft 1st, Sony Last in Holiday Console Sales

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Simple11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
[citation][nom]Restatement3dofTed[/nom]Based on what? If you read the article, you'd see that November is the sixth consecutive month that the 360 has been the top-selling console. What reason do you have to suspect that trend will change in the biggest retail month of the year?[/citation]

The lower class can finally purchase a "gaming" console.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I think the main reason PS3 did well in sales is because of their built-in Blue Ray player. XBOX has much better titles and now with Kinect it is doing better than expected. This is competition at its finest and glad their are 3 players in the console market and not just 2. Good job MS.

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
i think most who bought consoles did so because of the rrod, and a big portion bundle the kinect with it....i dont think the move being more complicated has anything to do with it, the ps3 fan base is a pretty technical bunch, i think it has more to do with the perception of a poor atempt at capturing the wii market, especially after thier first atempt (motion control in the remote), it all gets pretty insulting to ps3 fans, who lets face it pays top dollar and expects the best not just copies

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
They sunk a lot more cash into advertising Kinect..

I find Move works a lot better than Kinect - but in the end of the day, it's usually the product with the best marketing that gets the sales.

I'll be very interested to see if any new Kinect games can take my interest or whether it'll continue to sit in the cupboard. They say they can produce 'hardcore' games with no buttons.. well - bring it.

iNiNe5

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
isn't the 360 kinect bundle $100 less than ps3's?.... if anything, i would say that was the main reason for higher sales.... even if xbox had used a device based motion controller, they would still sell more than sony because of lower price

IM0001

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
The PS3 has the confusion of needing more controllers to make the whole "MOVE" setup work. Similar to the annoyance that you really need 4 controllers and also nun chucks with the Wii to get the full controller combo you need for almost anything that the games will throw at you. The Move needs the camera and then a main controller for each player and or as a second one, then there is the nun chuck style one for other games. Basic entry is cheap but to really get deep into any of the motion games and such it takes a lot more than the $100 bundle entry. Xbox wins this round costing (at launch) $150 and that is it.

What will come down next is the game selection. Each console has its own list of games, Xbox's Kinect has some good games and some bombs as does Sony's Move. People that say the PS3 has no games are downright ignorant btw.

Overall both of the new motion entries will take a bit of time to grow. Kinect I enjoy a lot and I plan to get a Move bundle in the next month or so. I own all 4 system choices (X360, PS3, PC, Wii) so I am not biased to any platform. They all have their pros and cons with the PC being my Primary gaming system, my PS3 comes in 2nd with GT5 being my current love, my Xbox is down with the family with Kinect and sits next to the Wii which is also used for family and friend games. I also got my Family their own PS3 to use as a BR and Media Center system for Christmas.

IM0001

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
[citation][nom]iNiNe5[/nom]isn't the 360 kinect bundle $100 less than ps3's?.... if anything, i would say that was the main reason for higher sales.... even if xbox had used a device based motion controller, they would still sell more than sony because of lower price[/citation]
As stated in my main post and hope to clear up confusion. The "Move" Bundle cost $100 for the Camera, a Controller, and a Game. Enough to get you started. The X360's Kinect is $150 for the sensor (only hardware you need) and a Game.
That is where the Xbox wins on entry cost. The Move is cheaper to start, but adds up to about $130-150 depending on if you get the nun chuck part or a 2nd controller. It will be another about $75ish for a set of Controller+Nunchuck (To get full 2 player going).

So While Xbox keeps the price at $150. Move goes from $100 - 200 ($200 = Move Bundle + 1 more controller and 2 navigation controllers).

So a Complete 2 Player Move Setup will set you back $50 more roughly. Not horrible, but it is a bit confusing they didn't just make and sell a complete move bundle like this to take all the confusion out and really get some more Move market Penetration.

IM0001

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]"..where did Sony go awry?"When the console was first released it was $600 and second to the market.[/citation]
I just want to ask who has a original Launch XBOX that still works... Hmm.. I know Launch PS3's are not immune to a similar YLOD, but all the ones I know of personally still work to this day, while the Launch X360 owners have had to repurchase once or even twice... Hmm

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I'm still waiting for a good co op game for the ps3 that isn't rated M. Don't really need my 4 year old repeating everything she hears from the ps3.

jisoo23

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
IM0001 :
I just want to ask who has a original Launch XBOX that still works... Hmm.. I know Launch PS3's are not immune to a similar YLOD, but all the ones I know of personally still work to this day, while the Launch X360 owners have had to repurchase once or even twice... Hmm

That was Microsoft's very first attempt at a gaming console. Sony already had tons of success designing and fine-tuning PS1's and PS2's. Yet within that relatively short (techwise) timespan of launch to current day, Microsoft is killing PS3. Hmm.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Actually the difference in sales should've arguably been larger with a $500 million marketing campaign. As for the comment on Sony's taking no risk? This entire generation (PS3) was a huge risk for them (and people dogged them all the way), but after 4 years if you go by worldwide sales, the gap between them and Microsoft is almost closed. Despite the PS3 being significantly more expensive until only recently. 3D is where Sony is doing the risking now.

All these motion devices are little more than gimmicks because they still are limited to a TV screen. Cue virtual reality. Maybe that will finally have a chance at rivaling a gamepad or kb/mouse.

ulysses35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
That was Microsoft's very first attempt at a gaming console. Sony already had tons of success designing and fine-tuning PS1's and PS2's. Yet within that relatively short (techwise) timespan of launch to current day.

Actually Xbox360 was MS's second attempt and the ystill cant cure some of its annoyances.... even the new slim sounds like a hairdryer at times.

I have played both Move and Kinnect - kinnect needs loads of room which some people do not have - and it also lacks fine / precise control (no trigger based games yet... ?)

IM0001

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
[citation][nom]jisoo23[/nom]That was Microsoft's very first attempt at a gaming console. Sony already had tons of success designing and fine-tuning PS1's and PS2's. Yet within that relatively short (techwise) timespan of launch to current day, Microsoft is killing PS3. Hmm.[/citation]

I was talking about the Launch Day Xbox 360.. The first Xbox was also a good success but the PS2 was as well.

Out of the box the Launch PS3 did a heck of a lot more hardware wise then the X360 still. BR, Wifi, Bluetooth, Card Reader, PS2 Support. Sure they got rid of a few features since then, but it still has more capabilities than the Xbox 360.

Don't get me wrong I love all 4 systems as I stated before. But to a lot of true PS3 users who understand what goes on behind the scenes and are patient for good games (yes Xbox did launch with a bit better selection but the PS3 has grown well with the latest titles and soon to come ones still).

Overall as a consumer NOW, we have a lot of selection and still reasonably good hardware to choose from. The next generation once it catches up to PC DX11 style graphics and performance is going to be mind blowing in a Console world.

jsheridan

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
Why do people come on here to blast successful companies? What company do you own? Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft are all innovators otherwise the companies would no longer be around. The Kinect is original (as the article says) and Sony simply took a gamble to try and improve an existing product but people like the simplicity of the other products. If companies did improve on each other then we would all still be playing the Magnavox Odyssey.

jsheridan

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
[citation][nom]JSheridan[/nom]Why do people come on here to blast successful companies? What company do you own? Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft are all innovators otherwise the companies would no longer be around. The Kinect is original (as the article says) and Sony simply took a gamble to try and improve an existing product but people like the simplicity of the other products. If companies did improve on each other then we would all still be playing the Magnavox Odyssey.[/citation]
Should read "If companies did NOT improve on each other then we would all still be playing the Magnavox Odyssey"

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Unless you're a girl who likes crappy dancing games, I don't understand why anyone would buy Kinect. I only know one person who even bought it, and she's a girl, and my girlfriend who played it with her wasn't impressed with it and said the dance game was lame and the controls had a delay, which made it frustrating to play. It boggles my mind that anyone would buy a 360 at this point in time. I can't even think of what high profile games have come out in the last few months, besides Halo Reach and Fable 3. And they've jacked up the price of their already ridiculously priced online service. Maybe the worst gimmick in gaming history. Maybe people will realize that once they see how limited the device is. Like I said before, I think some idiots actually confuse Kinect with a holodeck, because I've seen comments where they talk about how awesome it will be to play Halo or Gears of War on it. Never going to happen, unless they come out with an analog stick add-on or create rail-shooter versions of those games.

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
So Sony sold less than half what Microsoft sold (I really don't find the Wii as a direct competitor to either console - it has games for children and women who want to do aerobics - please). GOOD! That's millions of fewer childish zit-faced teen punks online the grown up PS3 gamers (25+) will have to deal with. That's also one of the main reasons I enjoy PC gaming online so much - not many stupid kids to ruin the team racing, ruin the team shooting, or ruin the team quest.

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
This entire generation (PS3) was a huge risk for them (and people dogged them all the way), but after 4 years if you go by worldwide sales, the gap between them and Microsoft is almost closed. Despite the PS3 being significantly more expensive until only recently. 3D is where Sony is doing the risking now.

This generation was a huge risk for Sony....too bad they lost out. It is amazing the gap is only now finally closing - well, kinda. MS still has a 4.2 million lead worldwide that is only widening and will probably continue to widen for a few months with the boost in Kinect popularity. To go from a 60-70% of the market share with the PS2 to struggling to get 26% with the PS3...wowzer. I still laugh every time I read the quote from Kax Hirai where he says the PS3 will keep or surpass PS2 market share.

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
(I really don't find the Wii as a direct competitor to either console - it has games for children and women who want to do aerobics - please)

LOL. Seriously? Sony and Microsoft would trade anything to have the Wii's market. Hell, Microsoft just spent $500 million just on advertising alone to try and get that market!

The "Wii is not a competitor" is not a valid argument. It IS a direct competitor - the Wii is still gobling up console sales that could have gone to MS or Sony. Why do you think Sony and MS are spending so much in developing the Move and Kinect? For the lolz? The casual gaming market is larger than the hardcore gaming market now.

Status
Not open for further replies.