Microsoft: Ballmer Misquoted, No Blu-ray on Xbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Isn't it a little petty of Microsoft to not include a Blu-Ray drive addon for their X-Box 360? They did offer a HD-DVD addon. Just because they backed the wrong horse doesn't mean their stupid..er..loyal customers should suffer.

It is an addon afterall, so anyone who doesn't care for Blu-Ray doesn't have to buy it. But if someone uses the 360 as their primary multi-media console, why not offer Blu-Ray? It keeps them from turning-off their console to watch Blu-Ray discs they already own.

Parsifal57

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Blu-Ray adoption is still low, especially given the premium you have to pay for Blu-Ray discs, thats likely the reason for it not being on the Xbox.

However adding Blu-ray would certainly increase its adoption rate which would be a good thing , since it would help to lower prices. But either Microsoft don't want to help Sony, or they have a new product in the wings to supersede the Xbox 360 (which hasn't been exactly trouble free), other than that i can see any other reason for not providing it as an add-on.

Looks like i'll probably be getting a PS3 for my console needs with this news.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Yeah MS. got their Butts kicked on HDDVD VS. Bluray so they don't want to put the competions drives in their console, they would rather fail again than do that. Steaming Video isn't that great so i have no idea why they are even trying to go that route. I guess for them it's that or nothing, it stinks looseing the battle.

ssalim

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
Good. Blu-Ray is for PS3. Let's keep it that way.

soldie37: xbox360 is not crap. wth. You are just boasting your brand new tv you got from your rich uncle.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
considering that the xbox has a better online service, better looking games, better exclusive titles, and hulu/netflix capable, the ps3 is useless other than to watch blu-ray movies.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Wondering does MS have any deal with Netflex to prevent them from supporting Blu-ray... they seems very close to each other these years.
Maybe MS is working closely w/ Netflex so MS can have much more control (profit?) on their HD media.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]My PS3 does just fine playng Blu Rays on my new 46" LED Samsung hdtv Thanks anyway crapbox,lol. Why are they even still making these. People are still buying this outdated crap wth?[/citation]

LOL I'm a total fanboy lol , why am i still a total fanboy , lol why do i like to get on and start flame wars lol why are total fanboys gay? no one knows !

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Isn't it a little petty of Microsoft to not include a Blu-Ray drive addon for their X-Box 360? They did offer a HD-DVD addon. Just because they backed the wrong horse doesn't mean their stupid..er..loyal customers should suffer.It is an addon afterall, so anyone who doesn't care for Blu-Ray doesn't have to buy it. But if someone uses the 360 as their primary multi-media console, why not offer Blu-Ray? It keeps them from turning-off their console to watch Blu-Ray discs they already own.[/citation]

it's called buisness, they don't care royalties to sony for a blue ray drive. big stinking deal it doesn't make ms's customers stupid. personally many peopel could care lkess having ablue ray palyer on thier game system , and many peopel will nto give two farts for blu ray untill the disc get cheaper

gmcboot

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Blu-Ray players will be under $150 bucks this christmas. If you want Blu-Ray get a player and be happy. I own box a 360 and PS3. Honestly, the both kick ass, however, Sony is still loosing money on the PS3 because of the bloated development cost for the Cell Processor and Blu-Ray. Unless Microsoft can stick a Blu-ray player in or as an accessory to the 360 for under $100 bucks this Christmas, it ain't worth it to them. If you can afford an Xbox and a Flatscreen TV, you can get a Blu-Ray player. Hell other than a Cablebox and the Blue Ray player what else is going to use those HDMI ports.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
No reason to. I have a PS3 and own exactly ONE blu-ray movie that I bought on sale at Fry's. I'll probably buy Star Trek when it comes out on blu-ray but that's about it for the year I think. The movies look better but they don't look five times better, which is about how much more they cost.

I'm already streaming Netflix straight to my Xbox which is much more convenient anyways. I don't really care if it's not uncompressed 1080p, it looks fine.

G

Copied from Gizmodo website...

"When I asked Ballmer about adding Blu-ray to the Xbox, he said:

'Well I don't know if we need to put Blu-ray in there—you'll be able to get Blu-ray drives as accessories.'"

I'm not sure how you get PC accessories out of that. Not to mention, why would you by an add-on (interpreted by me as external) when you can easily 'build' one into your PC? I know some people like the easy plug-and-play convenience of USB, but come on!

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I can see them still having a bad taste in their mouth when HD-DVD when bye bye. However the HD accessory wasn't all that great. Personally if I was going to get one I wouldn't buy the accessory from microsoft just buy a PS3. I own a 360 but I don't use it for multimedia just games.

As for the PS3 they still don't have any titles that I would play besides grand turismo, resistance, and FF. and that's hardly worth paying 300 bucks for. I'm not saying that's a bad deal, its a great deal especially because the blue ray player is like the 2nd best on the market.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
The fact remains that Microsoft will have to do something by the time the next generation of consoles go into production. DVDs have reached their limit on data storage, so what else does Microsoft plan to do? Put their games on really large USB thumb drives? Go to a cartridge system? Invent a new laminate disc that will compete with Blu-ray disc?

I highly doubt that any of those will occur. Microsoft could try and only offer games that are delivered digitally, but few customers would be interested in this being the only method of obtaining a game. Since so many of the companies today mistreat their customers that own digital content, not many people are interested in digital-only content delivery.

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Bluray is the future, but I can see why the xbox 360 doesn't have it. No one wants to have an xbox that has to be connected to both a wireless adapter and a blu-ray external drive in their home theater, too much of a mess. PS3 looks a lot better aesthetically.

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]montezuma[/nom]The fact remains that Microsoft will have to do something by the time the next generation of consoles go into production. DVDs have reached their limit on data storage, so what else does Microsoft plan to do? Put their games on really large USB thumb drives? Go to a cartridge system? Invent a new laminate disc that will compete with Blu-ray disc?I highly doubt that any of those will occur. Microsoft could try and only offer games that are delivered digitally, but few customers would be interested in this being the only method of obtaining a game. Since so many of the companies today mistreat their customers that own digital content, not many people are interested in digital-only content delivery.[/citation]
yeah sd card.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Isn't it a little petty of Microsoft to not include a Blu-Ray drive addon for their X-Box 360? They did offer a HD-DVD addon. Just because they backed the wrong horse doesn't mean their stupid..er..loyal customers should suffer.It is an addon afterall, so anyone who doesn't care for Blu-Ray doesn't have to buy it. But if someone uses the 360 as their primary multi-media console, why not offer Blu-Ray? It keeps them from turning-off their console to watch Blu-Ray discs they already own.[/citation]
So you think if HD-DVD would have been the victor, Sony would have jumped on the HD-DVD bandwagon? Never. This is the nature of the game my friend and you can't fault Microsoft for it. I don' own an xbox, in fact my last console was (is) a GameCube - though I can't find it anymore...I think the dustbunnies stole it! Get over it. You want blue-ray, but a player or a Playstation 3!

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
I personally would LOVE to see Blu-ray in the XBOX 360, but just like the HD-DVD add on did two years ago, it wouldn't be a big seller.

I'd even say they'd be likely to put games on multiple DVD's and make you install them to the hard drive, but customers wouldn't be having that, either. People who have sizable collections of games would be forced to upgrade to larger hard drives and face it, they want their systems to work right out of the box and to not have to buy even one extra thing for them. Not even a larger hard drive for more storage. Don't believe me? All I can say is we've seen this before. I have two words for you...

"Sega CD"

Status
Not open for further replies.