Microsoft: Blu-ray Will Be Passed By As a Format

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mjktrash

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2008
Streaming (movie) quality SUCKS, no really, it SUCKS, so for me, it's physical media...

However, this was the same argument for mp3's versus CD, and no one seemed to care about that either...

So for those who would have convenience or quality, and apparently it's in the majority, streaming wins...

Idiots...

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]mjktrash[/nom]Streaming (movie) quality SUCKS, no really, it SUCKS, so for me, it's physical media...However, this was the same argument for mp3's versus CD, and no one seemed to care about that either...So for those who would have convenience or quality, and apparently it's in the majority, streaming wins...Idiots...[/citation]

mp3s killed good quallity music, killed good headphones, and still kill them. we have large storage, we have flac, but people still use mp3 because they accept the quality loss. back when harddrives were 20gb at best, that was an ok decision, but now a 1tb drive is a minimum for even the most budget of prebuilts. and out hand held have anywhere from 16-64 up to 250gb of data. there is no reason to not go for higher quality.

G

If for no other reason, physical media will be necessary for a long time: not everybody (in the world, not just most developed countries) has reliable high-speed internet.

toastninja17

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Streaming will still not get you the exact clarity of Blu-ray, but it's nice. I enjoy HD Netflix streaming personally. But I both stream and buy BD for my PS3, just because I like having the disc and its unmatched quality.

eleclerc

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
I bring here a very good points, high speed internet in Canada offer services with bandwith limitation, So you can't always load your game and film online, this is ridiculous!!!

eleclerc

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
I bring here a very good points, high speed internet in Canada offer services with bandwith limitation, So you can't always load your game and film online, this is ridiculous!!!

marcelobto

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
I live in Brazil and here we dont have a 20Mb internet for a accessible price. I think that hddvd vs bluray battle was too long and and the price in the end of the battle was too high, so many deceptions for the ones who bought hddvd drives, and much time after the right time to sell, these bluray discs became less expensive.

Other obvious thing is the PS3 today doesnt need a bluray for games,
maybe 3 games made use of 50 gigs of close of it, PS3 doesnt have the memory to put superb textures on the games, and thats why they dont need that today.

So my conclusion is a game with 100 gigs or more for the next generation consoles and with a video card with 8 or even 32 gigs will do justice, for the PS4, and even with a 20 MB internet conection many people like me woul prefer to buy it.
Because we want some artbooks and other stuffs...

marsax73

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Sore losers. At least Toshiba got over it.Blu-ray's future is inversely proportional to ISP download caps. Those are becoming more popular.[/citation]

I have Comcast and with the caps they have now, it will be impossible to download everything. Take the caps off and I'm all for it!

G

I can't relate to people who need to own and collect massive amounts of media. With Red Box and Netflix driving down the cost per entertainment hour, I can't justify owning a movie. Two models have already prevailed: subscription and pay-by-the-drink. The latter still uses physical media but that may change soon.

processthis

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Digital eradicating physical? Yeah right...Oh wait, maybe he thought it was 2110? Or maybe a different dimension?

Seriously, physical copies won't go away anytime soon, if at all. As blu-ray won the battle for this generation of storage (meaning like VHS won), then it'll be around for quite some time. We still have CDs and DVDs too...

Azimuth01

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
The US is insanely slow to adopt higher bandwidth tech. Add this to companies trying to bring in limited BW plans at every turn. Streaming video that looks as good as a blue ray disc is a LONG way off, so netflix can still send me 1080P goodness for a while.

marcelobto

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]adrianmoore[/nom]Portable games were sold on cartridges for years. Why not make SD cards cheaper and sell games on these. They have fast I/O and the density doubles every year. Problem solved in my opinion.[/citation]

It would be a really good sugestion, if the lifespan of a SDcard was not something to worry about, and if you compare the prices, Any memory card now is much expensive than a HDD or a Bluray disc.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
WHile I dont think Digital distribution is the answer. Blu ray is a kick in the crotch and should die a fast death. Have they finally completed the standard. Sony can kiss my big hairy butt if they think I am going to buy a player, They change the format. (non standard discs. 3d, etc). Obsolete my player and me buy another one. This is why sony sucks all they do is back propriatary formats.

ouroboros

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2007
Considering the recent tests done with carrier pigeons versus downloads, I'd say the US isn't the only country with a slapdash approach to the construction and underpinnings of "their" internet. There is no way that we will be able to give up physical media entirely in the next five years. Call me pessimistic, but I seriously doubt that ten years from now we'll be able to.

I've got family in NC still on dialup, same with guildies of mine in WoW. Sorry but there's no physical way to ween the US (much less the rest of the world), off of physical media. It may change to a flash drive/card system, but it most definitely will NOT be a pure download only system in five years.

decode

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Disks, I always like a physical copy(even if it can be scratched) I then usually backup a digital copy.

G

It about control, just wait, when there are no more physical mediums available they can charge whatever they want. At the moment they have to beat the cost of a blue ray to be a viable option. Competition in mediums and in service providers is good. It means cheaper better quality movies for us all.

iinweed

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
I want to be able to play the content I have paid for. For ever effectively. Will the servers still be up in 10 years - 20 years - what about 30 years? If I own the media, I can play it when and wherever I like - this is not the case with streamed media, which is subject to the whims of the service providers, and whether or not they even still exist.

I'll be keeping hold of my expanding library of physical media, thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.