Microsoft: Blu-ray Will Be Passed By As a Format

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

1080p streaming is usually nowhere near Blu-Ray quality like junkisd said.
I do see a future where physical media will be obsolete, but we're not quite there yet...

junkisd

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
local storage will be even more important. so you can have multiple games quickly accessible. and with SSD prices coming down we could see some impressive performance from next gen consoles. can you imagine the *loading* time from an online streamed game? no thank you..

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Sore losers. At least Toshiba got over it.Blu-ray's future is inversely proportional to ISP download caps. Those are becoming more popular.[/citation]

By the time Blu-Ray becomes a household standard something even better will be out. Just like with CD and DVD. Its the rule of the technology relm.

As soon as everyone has the greatest, it becomes the worst and a new great is out.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I dont know what kind of perfect world these guys are living in but if they think that digital distribution will be the standard in 5 or even 10 years maybe longer, they are sadly mistaken. The internet as it is is not up to the task of distributing all this media and at the rate that ISP's are going it wont be for some time. And even if the bandwithd is availble to some its no guarantee they can afford to have it with todays ridiculous pricing models.

How do they expect to cover 100% of the market when a large number of people still dont even have internet access(or dont want it ie. grandparents and such) or the infrastruture in their area to allow high rates of data transfer. They simply cannot leave them in the dust. And who is going to provide the storage for this media, even with todays large drives it will be a problem.

brianfulcher15

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
i think blu ray will be around for at least 10 more years. Untill all movies are beign streamed at 1080p, or at least the highest resolution it was recorded in. Also there are sevral people like me, i have at the most a 756kb connection, and no 3g or 4g where i live so unless netflix and others start allowing me to fully buffer a movie, i will have to use physical media. Also to fully buffer a 150mb-500 mb 1080p movie on my connection would take at least 8 hours to download.

I think we will see a decrease in store bought disk though since the price of netflix is to hard to beat when you want to watch blu rays.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
bluray isnt going anywhere, but i wud be fine with installing my games on an extremely large HDD

of course, microsoft would probably price a 1tb HDD for no less than a grand.

campb292

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
I guess this reaffirms MS won't allow us to play Blu-ray in W7 anytime soon. I love clumsy 3rd party addons that load 5 programs in the background that you have to disable with msconfig. Last I knew Cyberlink wouldn't even let the powerdvd directory to be moved without recreating it in the main tree. Such garbage.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]wavetrex[/nom]With today's multi-TB HDD drives, and 20+Mbps internet, there's absolutely no point in storing data on a (fragile) CD-like format.Buy a game from Steam (or similar), download it in less than 1 hour, play. Even faster than going to the store to get the disk. End of story.[/citation]

I get your point, but where i live (NSW) Internet anywhere near 20mbps in my area is impossible to get, the best we can get is 17mbps and even that costs $300 a month at ADSL2+.

teknomedic

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
I'll remember this article when the next Xbox includes a blu-ray drive, lol.

So many of you are forgetting that there are millions of people out there without access to high speed internet so streaming of anything isn't possible.

Personally I see at least one more physical format release beyond Blu-ray before we're to a point where full streaming of everything comes to reality.

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
It all depends on the content. Kids videos we buy on Amazon VOD if available to play on the kids Roku player and DVD if Amazon doesn't have it. Same with TV series, if Amazon VOD has it we buy it there.

Any theatrical release movies we purchase though that we really want we get on BlueRay as there are no streaming movies that we have seen yet that match a BlueRay quality wise.

Also have to say that if they released kids cartoon series on BlueRay I would gladly buy them instead. What I mean is 1 BD with a whole season of Clone Wars or Ben 10 instead of 4 - 8 DVDs. Even better yet if they had all 4 seasons of a cartoon on one disk and you could just hit play all and have a marathon without ever changing disks.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]thechief73[/nom]I dont know what kind of perfect world these guys are living in but if they think that digital distribution will be the standard in 5 or even 10 years maybe longer, they are sadly mistaken. The internet as it is is not up to the task of distributing all this media and at the rate that ISP's are going it wont be for some time.[/citation]

The idea is to exert more control over what the customer does with their purchase, only its no longer a purchase. You're 'licensing' the software/movie/whatever. So they can take it away any time they feel like.

Sure Pirating is not the best thing in the world, but we may see a LOT more of it if companies think they can take the right to own something away from the customer and force people to buy it again several times, make it so they can no longer sell or give it to someone else.

See: Supreme court case about man trying to sell his Adobe Suite to another person.

Content providers would rather you keep purchasing copies of the same thing, not be able to share with friends. Be it be games, movies, software, books, anything.

willgart

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
Streaming ... ok... but its not available everywhere and in every languages!
this is the current show stopper.
also there is a problem with the download limit, not all the ISP propose an unlimited download plan.
For the moment I prefer to rent my movie from cable provider (video on demand), its HD, no download time, no bandwidth used...

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I worked in retail electronics, and I can assure most people on here that there are people like us, and then there's the average joe/jane who still NEEDS a VHS/DVD combo drive so they can watch their wedding videos. I'm not kidding. Sure, the technology is there to move to all streaming digital entertainment, but the general public is not. They need to hold their media, then need to insert it into a player. And also, don't forget the special interest groups...Monster Cable, A/V component manufacturers - they will fight tooth and nail to keep retail stores stocked with their products!

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
this is just microsoft propaganda, it didn't work for the Nazis it won't work now.

I like to have a phisical disk that I can watch as many times as I want, better than downloading a not so great version of it that you can watch a few times during xx amount of hours... no thanks

hunter315

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Until we have high speed broadband everywhere DVD's and Blu-ray will live on, if i wanted to watch a 2 hour 1080P movie at home it would probably take me a few hours to download it before i could even watch it. I would much rather pop a disk into a player and be watching my movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS