Microsoft Envisions a World Without Flash, Plugins

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]scuba dave[/nom]Awesome. As great as flash was, everything needs to be replaced eventually. I wonder when it will be time for x86.[/citation]
Probably when someone makes an ARM instruction set for x86/AMD64...

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
The term "HTML5" is still such a generic classification it's tough to say what it will look like in the future, and what it will encompass. Adobe already realized Flash is dying and this is why they released Adobe Edge, which basically is an HTML5 version of flash. The thing with HTML5 is it still can't come close to the dynamic animations capable in Flash among other things. I think once Adobe Edge or similar technology can do what Flash does but better, Flash will die soon thereafter. Until then, there is currently no tool to take it's place.

HTML5 is great for making snappy web applications, but currently it just can't do advanced animations and is pretty limited in regards to the creative realm. If Microsoft wants browsers to be plugin-free, perhaps they should start making Internet Explorer not such a pain in the ass to design and develop for.

//side note: I've been a web designer for about 7 years so I'm speaking from my own experience.

jujuvivi

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
What a U turn from Microsoft!
Too bad they have lost 10 years trying to protect Windows from web base dominated app.
IE9 could have been IE6
SVG instead of Silverlight

But now, they don't have the choice and I am delighted to hear that.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Probably when someone makes an ARM instruction set for x86/AMD64...[/citation]

this might happen in a few years now that MS is again making an ARM version of windows

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Plugins serve specific needs of users that cannot be met by a browser or OS. if HTML5 becomes ubiquitous with all browsers and can adequately do what Flash can do and the tools to develop HTML5 objects are readily available and affordable then most developers will eventually shift to adapting HTML5. Come to think of it, aren't all apps just plugins to the OS? Why do you use Word? Because notepad or wordpad are darn too stupid.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
MS, Google and Apple want us all to have dumb terminals or at the best apps from their app stores where we rent the software from them and HTML5 will be their ticket.
Long live Linux.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
From the article above:

"There is little doubt that Flash is losing traction these days and HTML5 is gaining mindshare."

Problem is that according to the reality we have it appears that HTML has lots of development to go through before it becomes anywhere near as viable as Flash currently is.

As much as folks hate flash I have to say that over the years I have had very little trouble with it, unless I did something wrong on my end, other than that it has been very reliable, if bloated program, if there is anything detrimental about Flash it is the bloated nature of it. Adobe has only itself to blame when flash goes away.

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
As a Flash developer... I see everyone just expects everything to go the way of HTML 5 and JavaScript... They need to make a real programming language to build web apps. I'm sorry but JavaScript is such a poor shitty language with no support for classes and architecture other than having to do nasty things with prototypes and namespaces. No typed variables. No constants. No security for compiled code besides obfuscation. The problems with JavaScript as a language go on and on...

var javascript = PROGRAMMING_HELL; //Wait... you can't do that in javascript as it doesn't support constants.

Not something I want to code in.

Status
Not open for further replies.