Microsoft Excel 2010 Copy, Save & Paste Issue

afmom888

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016
I have been exporting a report to Excel and then copying it into an email. Today I used the same process, the first thing I noticed that was different was that I had to save the report which I do not need,then when I pasted it into the email, the font was larger and the grid lines appeared. What changed? How do I fix it?

Solution
Do not know if Microsft did some update within Excel or some other configuration change has been made on your computer.

Agree - unlikely that the new printer would be involved. I think it would take some rather dubious reasoning to even bring that into consideration.

And I am just not aware of any requirement in Excel to save a spreadsheet before viewing it. After viewing, then yes if Excel deems something you did while viewing as a change.

Being forced to save the excel sheet could save you some work. If something goes astray you do not need to go all the way back to the web source to export another copy.

And I see no point in an endless set of questions about the overall process details.

At this point I sort of view it (pun...
Just a couple of questions to clarify:

What is the source of the report going into Excel.....? (Or did you intend to type "exporting a report" from Excel?)

"Save the report which you do not need" meaning you had already done that or have not had to do it before?

Do you just highlight the desired block of cells, do a CTRL-C, go to the open email and then a CRTL-V?

Anyway, give it a couple of more "start from the beginning" attempts. Look for anything unusual in the source document or in the Excel cells. Extra characters, some garbled words/numbers.

All too easy to brush a key and alter things along the way. Or pick up an extra row or column of cells that brings along some stray characters and codes.

Or have a document become corrupted and cause problems.

afmom888

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016

afmom888

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016
The source is a website I have been using for years. The report first displays as HTML, then I have an option to export into excel. I have been doing this for a few years as well... All I want to do is view it in excel, so I can copy and paste elsewhere. But now the report will not display in excel until I save it..

Following the HTML import to Excel, do you get the "spreadsheet has been changed message" after viewing the report with an option to save changes?

Excel is asking about the save because something is being changed, probably during your viewing.

Any known changes at the source website? Excel should not care per se but it may be unexpectantly responding to some change from the source end.

If possible compare a current report to an older version where save did not show up.

afmom888

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016
No I do not receive a spreadsheet message.. I cannot view the excel sheet until after I save it. This happened once to me with PDF but there was a place to go to just print and view without saving. I was hoping to find something like that for excel. I have no idea what has happened to the program and why things changed.. I added a new printer last week but I don't think that is the culprit.

Do not know if Microsft did some update within Excel or some other configuration change has been made on your computer.

Agree - unlikely that the new printer would be involved. I think it would take some rather dubious reasoning to even bring that into consideration.

And I am just not aware of any requirement in Excel to save a spreadsheet before viewing it. After viewing, then yes if Excel deems something you did while viewing as a change.

Being forced to save the excel sheet could save you some work. If something goes astray you do not need to go all the way back to the web source to export another copy.

And I see no point in an endless set of questions about the overall process details.

At this point I sort of view it (pun intended) as "no harm, no foul". For now, barring any intellectual curiousity, just go with the need to save.

Could just as suddenly disappear.....

Solution