Microsoft Intros Motion Sensing "Natal" at E3

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]apmyhr[/nom]Did anyone see the Tony Hawk skateboard controller? I laughed for 5 minutes because I thought it was a joke. But the preview for it kept going on, as if it were a real product. Did Microsoft actually make a skateboard controller or was that just a really long expensive joke?[/citation]

You mean the one activision made?

G

guys.. what stops you from grabbing your real club to play virtual golf on the Natal? You could use something that has the real weight in place.. or nothing at all.

And its voice controlled. You want to pause the movie.. just say "PAUSE" no more finding remotes in couches.. Amen.

Grims

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
That said, some activities presented in with the Wii (bowling, baseball, golf) are only made easier by the controller. We can’t imagine playing those kinds of games without something to hold on to. We hate to say it, but we might lean toward the opinion of

If holding a piece of plastic helps you then go grab a stick and use it for free?

You could even use a real bat, or golf club.

G

This is not new thought. Microsoft is the world expert at selling Alpha and Beta quality software and devices. If it really worked, right now today, we would be seeing demo units at major retailers cornering the market on the orders for the next 2 years.
Our tech ability is close but it isn't there yet. (Give it say 5 more years).
We had wireless workstations back in the late 70's linked to mainframes and sold it as a "warehouse pack" to reduce the need for cabling. The reason it didn't take off, it was too unstable in electrically noisy environments like warehouses and manufacturing. It is everywhere now but 30 years later.

fuser

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
I think stories about Wii remotes being thrown through televisions will be replaced by stories of gamers tearing ACLs and spraining ankles.

Most Americans aren't fit enough for this type of activity.

That said, I'm looking forward to trying it.

kewl munky

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Microsoft needs to stop trying to make new technology and try to master older technology first. Everything they send out it shit. The only reason I have a 360 is because of the games library.

fuser

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]nowwicked[/nom]This is not new thought. Microsoft is the world expert at selling Alpha and Beta quality software and devices. [/citation]
Depends on the hardware. Microsoft makes fantastic mice and keyboards.

Weirdo0815

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
So, if you will one day be able to use this for controlling video/music playback, how the heck would it know the difference between you holding your hand up at the system to pause the video/music verse you waving at someone who just walked into the room. You can't even say it will go by what you're looking at by reading your facing direction. I may be looking at someone while wanting to pause the media. The only way to get around that without a controller would be to have some initialize motion/sound capture function like saying "computer" followed by "make me a cookie" or you'd wave both arms high above your head while jumping on one foot followed by the command gesture for pausing which is giving the system the bird... which then if the system is in a bad mood, it would return that gesture with giving you some flashing variant of the RROD just to prove that it is superior...

But really, I personally have all 3 current gen systems and I like some games with the Wiimote but I still to this day hate having to point at the screen to shoot someone with the bow in Zelda. At first I thought it would be cool to point at the screen but it got old fast.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
hmm... playing Halo X with project Nata will be very cool... but wait... that means I will need to have a big living room which is well lighted and I can only play my Halo 1 hr a day... since after 1 hr of jumping rolling and running... I would be dead tired...lol

It is a very interesting concept, however in order to do whatever is promised on the video, it will require a very very powerful image recgnition software and hardware without having motion sensors attaching on our body.
Is this possible?... yes... that is how those movie studio doing their special effects and Sony's playstaion EyE already done some of them (not so perfect though)

However, can xbox 360 powerful enough to handle this well enough? ...very unlikely

Can a saperate hardware handle this well enough?.... possible.... dependent how far are they going to push to... and it is also depend on how small (or big)...and how cheap (actually ..how expensive) it is going to be.

Same questions goes to Sony's similar project. Guess we will not be bored of news in the coming couple years..lol

I hope both MS and Sony will prove me wrong just like Nintendo did at 2005 E3 with their "revolusional" Wiimote.

Hope Slayer

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
This is nothing new at all, us in Law Enforcement and the Military have been using systems like this for the past few years. The most common and low tech is F.A.T.S. or Fire Arms Training Simulator. The software can be set up to recognize different forms of hand held objects, weapons, ect and can change the simulation displayed to the officer based on body position and verbal commands given. More complex systems can even recognize such things as stress in ones voice or have the simulation react to stimuli precieved by the user. Not exactly hands free, but XBoxers would kill to use some of the goodies we can already get our hands on...."for training purposes." ;)

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Seems like an interesting idea, and certainly does seem like a pricey gamble.
My issue is with the voice recognition. I have a lisp, and so far no speach-recognition program works for me. Tom Clancy's EndWar? I play by keyboard because it can't understand me.
Microsoft voice-recognition in Windows 7? Apparently saying a simple sentence, Windows thinks I'm saying Nazis and koons...

I do hope this works as intended.
Accurate, fast response, cheap, easy to integrate into most games (slashing and shooters particularly).

[citation][nom]TemjinGold[/nom]So when does this get used by the pr0n industry?[/citation]

Not soon enough.

[citation][nom]Hope Slayer[/nom]This is nothing new at all, us in Law Enforcement and the Military have been using systems like this for the past few years. The most common and low tech is F.A.T.S. or Fire Arms Training Simulator. The software can be set up to recognize different forms of hand held objects, weapons, ect and can change the simulation displayed to the officer based on body position and verbal commands given. More complex systems can even recognize such things as stress in ones voice or have the simulation react to stimuli precieved by the user. Not exactly hands free, but XBoxers would kill to use some of the goodies we can already get our hands on...."for training purposes."[/citation]

Sounds interesting, but let's see which system is superior. >:p
If the M$ version is superior after some improvements, will the military adapt it?
Plus the government version likely costs 100x-1000x what the consumer version will be worth.

G

oh and the microphones....you could be cammando rolling behind the couch, jump up "TFF, TFF, TFF, TFF (er, thats gun sound)...ting, hurgh, phewwww, tink tink tink....BANG!! (grenade...)"

Yeah that'll be sweet!

Status
Not open for further replies.