Microsoft Kissing Windows Mobile 6 Goodbye

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Not everybody uses this for phones. This is actually crazy talk. Windows Mobile is on more computers then you could even imagine. For Work PDAs delivery, stocking, mechincal computers, robotic control systems, aviation. The fact of the matter is Windows Mobile 7 is probably coming. Just in a couple flavors.

G

Windows Mobile 6.x has paid far better than WP7! support just fixed the bug with Zero downloads...

icebug

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
as soon as I can get a device on my carrier i am in, until then ill just keep trucking along with my touch pro i guess

jaksun5

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
I was given an android phone for free by my carrier 6 months ago and the truth is I still use my old WinMo6.1 phone, the reasons why are numerous.

The old phone does everything I need for my work's Exchange server, has all the connectivity options that my new phone has (WiFi, HSDPA, A-GPS), GPS doesn't rely on a data/mobile connection like google maps does, on my email I can read a lot more on one screen with my crappy looking windows font than Android allows me to see with all it's graphical bling, same goes for ebook reading with Freda connected to Feedbooks, rather than having Aldiko or the Amazon reader. Opera Mobile browser is a saving grace for this phone since the built in IE blows dog.

The screen sucks compared to most new phones, but I have a hardware keyboard on my unit. Also because the phone is a bit old and been thrashed, I'm not too fussed about it (although it's been dropped on concrete about 50 times and still works).

Realistically the only thing I'm missing is the apps, and after spending a month or 2 using the Android phone, they really are mostly games which don't interest me that much. It's a shame that WinMo phones don't have more modern apps available to them, and that it appears as a developer community we are reliant on a big Apple or Google to create an app friendly ecosystem. It's a step in the right direction going partly open source as Google have done, but I was hoping the old Sharp Zaurus may have got more traction with it's linux based OS. In fact I'm not sure why the community wasn't more software/app focused, the only difference I can see myself (and i'm not a developer so feel free to correct me) was that by creating an 'app store' and making it 'cool' people could sell apps for a reasonable cost (1-2 bucks) and still make money. I remember people asking me to pay 30-60 bucks for an app when I first got my WinMo phone and I thought that was ridiculous, needless to say I bought nothing. Was it this stalemate that failed the old WinMo platform? Food for thought...

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Great...just in time for me to upgrade from my Win Mobile 6 phone. I've been looking at the DROID BIONIC, anyway. I won't be getting another Windows Phone, that's for sure.

ianj14

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
I'm eager to get past WM6.1, but unless full local Outlook synchronisation comes about for WP7, then I'll stick with it.

haplo602

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
sad news realy. WinMO 6 was not that bad. Load Opera Mobile and it does all things I need. The one big problem now for me is Outlook sync. Not Exchange, but Outlook over bluetooth or usb cable. No other phone/mobile OS does it on the same level (and crap Google wants you to have your data on their services).

I'm back to an SE C510 and cursing. Androind is not for me.

stonedatheist

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
[citation][nom]plznote[/nom]Who honestly cares about Windows Mobile 6?[/citation]

I do because my phone runs it. Does anybody really care when somebody asks a stupid rhetorical question?

jonnyhuk2

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
I'm still using my old WinMo 6.1 phone. Sure it looks outdated, it's slow and the screen is poor compared to modern phones, but to launch WP7 without the things that made WM6 great like multitasking was a real backwards step in technology.
Maybe WP7.5 will be great, but the damage is done, it's too late, it's not here right now so I'm looking at buying an HTC Sensation in the next month or two when they're available.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]stonedatheist[/nom]I do because my phone runs it. Does anybody really care when somebody asks a stupid rhetorical question?[/citation]
I wonder if you can see the humor of this post...

G

I am a fan of Windows Mobile 5, 6.x has whole slew of app compatibility problems but that could be the fact I elect to use the touchless Standard version of 6.5 which no one else uses.

WM, you had a whole slew of apps that makes iOS and even Android look like amateur PIM devices that do nothing besides Tetris while you can decode DivX and FFMPEG, but what Palm does with webOS Microsoft is doing to you: no straight out backward compatibility and that ruins everything; I am jumping ship to Android; it looks like a nicer experience.

G

Microsoft abandoned me; therefore, I will abandon them for my next phone

Status
Not open for further replies.