Microsoft No-respond to Xbox 360 54% Failure

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingbrodij

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
SAD

And my NES and Atari 5200 keep on trucking after all these years.

Guess I'll continue to hold out on these pos's

kingbrodij

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
SAD

And my NES and Atari 5200 keep on trucking after all these years.

Guess I'll continue to hold out on these pos's

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Yoder54[/nom]This is merely a sign of things to come. Zune fails, Vista failed, IE fails, Yahoo deal flops...how will the new stores fare? Failure. Bing vs. Google? LOL. Win7 vs Mac OS? My money is on Apple...the consumer will begin to flock to "those other guys." MS has been an abysmal failure at everything they try to market...like them or not, Apple knows how to market their products. Just look at the current stock prices of each.Bye-bye Microsoft.[/citation]

DUDE MS isn't the PC. i'd rather go with the crappy Linux OS and keep a cheap PC then buy a pricey mac with an OS that has a good GUI

MS has more money then god they are not going anywhere

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Rab1d-BDGR[/nom]How did they arrive at 54%? Given enough time 100% of any device will fail, hence MTTF stats on HDDs and other components. Is the MTTF for the X360 particularly worse than other devices?[/citation]

Ummmmm given it's only been out for 3 years, modern tech should not die within even five years, UNLESS it is poor quality, running above spec's (Overclocking etc.) or exceeding it's cooling needs (which seems to be the problem here.)

Mean Time Between Failure MTBF btw =)

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]DUDE MS isn't the PC. i'd rather go with the crappy Linux OS and keep a cheap PC then buy a pricey mac with an OS that has a good GUIMS has more money then god they are not going anywhere[/citation]

Really? But, the majority of "PCs" run Windows. Why would anyone choose a piece of shit computer with a bad OS, versus a Mac? Check your facts...component for component...the Mac is just as competitive as any manufactured PC and/or laptop. I guess there is always a crowd that likes low quality, and prefers living in trailers versus houses...this is America.

More money than God? Hah. Again, check your facts dude. Apple has over $5 billion more than MS. That is today...it will only widen as market trends seem to be suggesting.

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
[citation][nom]Yoder54[/nom]Really? But, the majority of "PCs" run Windows. Why would anyone choose a piece of shit computer with a bad OS, versus a Mac? Check your facts...component for component...the Mac is just as competitive as any manufactured PC and/or laptop. I guess there is always a crowd that likes low quality, and prefers living in trailers versus houses...this is America.More money than God? Hah. Again, check your facts dude. Apple has over $5 billion more than MS. That is today...it will only widen as market trends seem to be suggesting.[/citation]

hmmm.. Just curious, could you post some links on the net worth of apple and microsoft? Just wondering where you got your figures..

Why would anyone choose a piece of shit computer with a bad OS versus a mac? hmm, probably because they would rather deal with a piece of shit computer with a bad OS then deal with a mac.... LOL.

Macs are overpriced pc's with Expensive, Limited, software. What do you get when you buy a mac? easy to use interface. What else? ................Sorry, took to long to answer. What do you get when you buy a pc? More hardware, more options, better compatibility, better support, two mouse buttons, extra money in your pocket, and the feeling that you've purchased an item because it's good, not just because of the name. Lets play a game, why don't all the mac people get together and create a list of what you can do with your mac. Then, lets get all the pc people together to create a list. I bet the pc list will be 100 times longer. And, just incase you don't know. Apple isn't all that great at everything. \
Common myths about apple-
1.apples don't get as many virus as pc's. Not true, apples don't get as many virus's because hackers know they aren't that popular and don't focus on them, but they do get virus's just as easy as the pc. The real question is, how easy is it to get your mac fixed once you get it?
2. Macs are more reliable- Last I checked, Asus was more reliable then mac's, and asus makes pc's. Wich run windows...
3. Macs are better for the money- for the same amount of money, you get more hardware on a pc. If anyone can find any proof that this is not true, please post it. LOL
4. Macs are faster- Oh, well, i'm sure with some apps it's faster, But I suppose that depends on the app doesn't it?

Anyways, just wanted to answer your question. I prefer pc's. And yes, i have played with mac's. I work in a pawnshop, and we get macs all the time. I really think people are only buying the name when they buy a mac. I have over 25 years working with computers, and in my opinion, with a pc, you get more for your money, but, again, thats just my opinion..

Oh, and I live in a house made of all brick if that means anything to you.. If that was supposed to be a snobbish poor man joke I suppose it's only funny to the filthy rich momma's boy's who never worked a day in his life and don't know what it's really like to be poor. I get it though, trailer trash joke, LOL, never heard it before.. Did you write it yourself?

tomwaddle

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Does anyone really believe online polls anymore? I mean, there's no way to tell out of the 5,000 people if they were actually owners of ANY of the consoles.

G

my halo 3 edition xbox 360 has had no problems. I thinks its the most reliable edition of the console. something to do with the reworking of the wiring.

statikshock

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
my 360 quit recognizing disk so i took it apart and found the cooing fins caked with dust--tore apart the dvd player and found that the laser eye mount could not move all the way to the top off its full scan movement. i think it was grease and dust that dried up and blocked the path---i cleaned it and greased the 2 metal rods it rides on and that fixed it--if i would not have cleaned the fins it would have over heated and died--they should have put the fans on the cooling fins so that the heat and dust was blown out the rear-bad design

caskachan

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
as i said ina nother post
open them up, cut metal grill, bypass fans to 12v, seal air duct leaks, add fan, resolder gpus with heat (400 ºc) and voila, i live form this
thank microsoft

bviperz

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
I'm just wondering if they'll ever fix it or just push out a new one. Natal will be interesting to see as far as working with the older models (got my 360 back in 2006).

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]caskachan[/nom]as i said ina nother postopen them up, cut metal grill, bypass fans to 12v, seal air duct leaks, add fan, resolder gpus with heat (400 ºc) and voila, i live form this thank microsoft[/citation]

While this does indeed work, I'd rather not void my warranty by opening it up. I've owned 3 360s, one for me and one for my son, the other was my launch console and I wanted an HDMI model so I traded it in. I've not had to send in the HDMI model, nor has it had a single issue and compared to the launch versions is very quiet. Both of the launch models I own or owned, had RROD at one point. However, the total time it took for repairs was never more than 7 days, including weekend time. One was back to me in the same week I sent it in. Neither cost me a dime to fix.

In my opinion, I'd rather send it in and not void the warranty, rather than fixing the heating issue myself. But that is just in case something goes wrong with it besides heating. I'm sure I could easily open it up and fix a heating issue... but it's just not worth that risk. To each their own though! :)

G

I've had my 360 since day one. I've played almost every game and have a gamer score of over 40,000 so you know i got some play time on this system.

It has locked up twice in Oblivion and once or twice in Fallout 3. That is teh extend of my problmes with the 360. So far this has been solid as a rock. I don't use any special cooling items, it sits flat on teh shelf by itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.