Microsoft No-respond to Xbox 360 54% Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
I just bought a new xbox 360 a month and a half ago. This last week it has been randomly freezing during gameplay but no red-rings, does not even feel hot. Happens with every game I have so far. The longest I have played in one sitting is 3 hours before freeze. So far Microsoft has told me that this does not sound like an issue needing warranty repair and blames the games (all 11 of them). Thanks Microsoft...you're the best.

bucfan

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
I have the Halo 3 edition Xbox 360. I have had it since it came out and have not had any problems with it. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Love my 360.

G

I just hope the new Elites don't fail as I plan to buy one next week when the price drops. My first one got RRoD and the replacement did 2 weeks ago while out of warranty.

Dyseman

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Have had 2 since launch of Xbox (1 of which is an elite) and then won an Elite. None of which has crashed on me.

My Daughter and her husband have 2 elites both of which have Red Ringed and was sent/recieved with no problem from MS.

So little under 50% failure with us

G

I am on my sixth 360. I am very cautious about not placing them in enclosed spaces and keeping the dust of them. Yes, they have all been under warranty, but the fact that it takes anywhere from 2 to 8 weeks to get them back is a real pain in my butt. Oh sure they give you a one month live card. I not sure if they care a whole lot about their reputation. The first time I have to pay for a repair though, Hello PS3!

Vman_105

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Every 360 will a some point fail with the red ring. Unless microsoft makes major modification to the cooling. I had a 2006 console got red ring within a year wasn't covered by the warrenty. So then I pick up a 2008 model that had the extra heatpipe on the gpu, just recently got another red ring so I sent it to microsoft for repair. Take a look at the PS3 cooling, large fan large copper heat pipes steel fins, half the console is a refrigerator. Microsoft needs to go back to the drawing board.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
My 360 started to act up a bit with random freezes, even while watching a DVD. So I sold it and bought a PS3. I couldn't be happier. And the being a PC builder myself, I can say that the PS3 appeals to the PC gaming crowd a lot more then the 360, with the ability for Linux and some games (like UT3) having keyboard/mouse support.

Unfortunately I had to sell my PC to get a laptop for school, so now the PS3 is my main (and only) gaming device

gocybershop

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
We repair the 3 red light problem and any other problem associated with the xbox 360 for a living. Almost all problems other then the laser or Dvd rom failure are related to the 3 red light problem. Error code 74, no picture but the sound works, freezing during the 360 startup etc...
Over 2000 consoles have been reapired at our shop. Most 360's last a little over a year depending on play and use. Then the problems start happening from what we have seen since xbox 360 has launched. The 3 red light is bound to happen in almost all consoles eventually due to the poor design by microsoft. You need yours repaired send it to the experts.
www.gocybershop.ca

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
[citation][nom]anonymous123564878[/nom]I am on my sixth 360. I am very cautious about not placing them in enclosed spaces and keeping the dust of them. Yes, they have all been under warranty, but the fact that it takes anywhere from 2 to 8 weeks to get them back is a real pain in my butt...[/citation]

Call me skeptical--but I say you're full of baloney. Who in their right mind would go through 6 consoles? Most likely your exagerating a bit, but I understand how frustrating it is to send in your 360. I had to send mine in once, but I got a free month of XBL Gold out of it, so I'm not complaining.

Anyway--the 360 consoles must have a higher-than-acceptable failure rate or MS would refute reports that say otherwise with numbers. I seriously doubt it is anywhere near 50%, however.

wingnuta72

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
I have to say I own all three consoles and the 360 is by far the worst. If you want cheap casual fun pick the wii, if you want high end console gaming and a reliable product pick the PS3. If you want a substandard platform with a high failure rate pick the 360. For the smartest choice however PC gaming is my pick. Being able to use mods in games prolongs them by months for myself and a mouse and keyboard will always be better for FPS, RTS and MMO. The hardware is easily upgradeable and thanks to websites like toms hardware we can make better choices in regards to bang for buck.

ebattleon

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
[citation][nom]Zoonie[/nom]I can't believe this kind of shitty quality control is so well tolerated.[/citation]

Just look at their OS history and you will understand why.

G

I think 50% may be convervative, I am on my 5th console, and out of 7 friends with 360s, only one has not had a dead 360, and three of us have had multiple replacements. I think anyone using the older model 360s in hidef will have them fail, it was a major design mess, the cooling on the GPU is a total joke. It should have been a product recall.

davisorle

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Got mine on day one with extreme use even periods of having it on for weks without turning it off ( for reasons.. ) and also traveled and bumped the crap out of it. Meaning its also abused and also modded... Works great and I dont mind if im lucky or not since for me its been great. Now I have no reason to doupt any of the pots except a couple obvious to just trush the console but a pole frmo a gaming site is most likely to have results including funboys and kiddos just voting for obvious reasons againts the console they might hate.

Like i said, not reason to doupt it and sounds extreme but I'll care to believe it when its official from a non pole from a site of the kind.

MitchMeister-

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
My friend got the red ring of death, was too lazy to send it in, sold it to me for $50. I found out it wasn't registered to him, sent it in, works great for years, only took like two weeks to get it back too. So yeah, they do fail, but at least the service is decent.

Brooks G

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
I this for ALL 360's or just the pro's? I'm thinking about buying the 299$ elite way later on and didn't know if it suffered any red rings or such.

Status
Not open for further replies.