microsoft office 2007 on windows server 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Yes.
But the general concept is a server is a server. Not to run 'applications' on.

I have, in the past, used Server 2003/2008/2012 as a workstation. But if it is being used as an actual server....you generally don't want userspace applications running on it.

RobinAz

Estimable
May 10, 2014

USAFRet

Illustrious

That statement does not make a lot of sense.
You can't run both Windows 7 and Server 2012 on the same hardware unless you're running one in a VM. Which is just like a whole other PC.

What are you actually trying to do?

RobinAz

Estimable
May 10, 2014

there are two different components, 1. on the server I am currently running windows server 2003 but am about to upgrade to 2012 r2 with the essentials role, 2. on the desktop i already have office 2007 installed with access 2007 and excel 2007. I have read that there may be compatibility issues with server 2012 and desktop applications such as office 2007 because of conflicts between 32bit applications and access's use of connections but that you can use a download like WOW to fix it and I was wondering if this will work or if there are other issues that need to be addressed.

USAFRet

Illustrious
All else being equal, it should work. The Office applications are simply running on the Win7 desktop PC. If they have to connect to some backend doodad on the server, 32/64bit should not matter.

Access is actually very good about its connection properties.

RobinAz

Estimable
May 10, 2014
microsoft lists features of windows server 2012 that have been discontinued or removed at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn303411.aspx. Two of the features that have been depreciated are ODBC support for 16- and 32-bit applications and drivers and Drivers for Jet Red RDBMS and ODBC. I was wondering how this will affect access 2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.