Microsoft Office 2010 Activation can't be moved to another PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmike16

Honorable
Hi all,

My friend has a computer with Office 2010 Home installed on it. He just got a new laptop to replace it, but he wants to move his copy of Office from there onto the new laptop. Unfortunately, it stated the product key is invalid. Microsoft told me (obviously reading from a script because he would say nothing else) that once used, it can never be re-used, even if it is on the same computer!

I had a copy of Office 2003 that only worked for one activation, and all it took was an automated call and I was able to switch it between PCs multiple times. So 7 years later, this technology got worse and I am no longer able to do that?

For now, he is using OpenOffice. Also, about that- can it open newer formats, such as .docx?

Thanks!

Rogue Leader

Distinguished
I think that guy was wrong. I had a copy of 2010 I moved from my old PC to my new one. It gave me that error, then I called Microsoft's activation hotline and they unlocked the key for me. Just make sure its uninstalled from the old PC just in case.

mrmike16

Honorable
THAT's what I did on 2003 that I didn't do on 2010! I called Microsoft Support for Office 2010 instead of the activation hotline, but there was no activation hotline displayed.
I was trying to download Office 2010, and it told me to enter the Product Key before even getting the installer. When it fails, it just tells me to go to the FAQ and does not provide any other option.
Any idea how I can get the installer so that I can get the Hotline?
Thanks for your quick reply! Always knew I could count on Tom's Hardware.

mrmike16

Honorable

But it IS the computer it was activated on. We did a reinstallation of Windows, since it hasn't been wiped for 6 years prior to that. If it is tied to that hardware, it should still activate.

Rogue Leader

Distinguished

I agree, and I don't understand how Microsoft's activation hotline wouldn't help, they have done it for me a few times.

mrmike16

Honorable

I think I will give them another go, if my friend still wants me to.

Status
Not open for further replies.