Microsoft Patents Modular Smartphone with Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I actually would like a gamepad that is removable, the idea of having one to play games would be great, but when you aren't playimg you have this hulking great stupid gamepad next to your ear.

Why has no-one thought of this before?

ElectroGoofy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
I really like this idea actually... use the game controller or qwerty keyboard during normal use, then swap out for the additional battery in case of emergency or extended durations of time without a charging source. Or for long road trips just keep in the additional battery and use the keyboard/controller wirelessly via bluetooth if that is a feature (of course if I am not driving ;)):)

[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]I actually would like a gamepad that is removable, the idea of having one to play games would be great, but when you aren't playimg you have this hulking great stupid gamepad next to your ear.[/citation]

Well, actually, it fits into a slide-out bay, as mentioned in the article. But yea, I really like the idea :D

Lewis57

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
With this idea you would have to carry mutliple parts for your phone, wouldn't it be better to have a slide out screen that displays touch pad buttons or keypad buttons etc.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Lewis57[/nom]With this idea you would have to carry mutliple parts for your phone, wouldn't it be better to have a slide out screen that displays touch pad buttons or keypad buttons etc.[/citation]
Don't have to carry, can pick and choose what to take depending on where you are going and how long you will be gone. A little thinking ahead is not a bad thing and if you don't feel like doing that then just take a bag and take them all, not like they will be huge anyway. I like this idea, would love to have one of these phones, specially the extra battery idea for those long trips away from an outlet to charge.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
who would really buy something with swap-able parts? The reason manufacturers have gotten away from this sort of design model is because people will loose/damage parts, plus it opens up an obvious market for 3rd party devices, which means that the designers loose control of the product (which they hate). I doubt we will see this come to life, or if it does it will be marketed about as well as the Zune.

I do like the idea of Bluetooth connectable devices for a game pad, just don't make it modular. Modular is great for some things, just not mobile electronics.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I call BS on it. Patenting concepts should NOT be allowed. Only actuals products and software. Modular smarphone is a concept. What, just because MS first patented a very obvious thing means everyone gets to pay them? F#$@ that system.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Wow... I had no idea you could patent an idea like this! I had dreamed of a laptop with a modular controller for a long time...

I need to become a patent lawyer...

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Why can't phones connect wirelessly to multiple HD displays, keyboards, mice and speakers yet? Imagine having a phone in your pocket that could do that - no matter where you are you could take advantage of proper interfaces and do actual, useful work. Then it would make sense to pack more powerful hardware into phones.. and it would also make sense for Windows 8 to be an all-in-one OS.

kbarber29

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
I would much rather have a phone where it was kind of like on of those convertible laptop screen, the one that flips the screen to turn it from a laptop to a tablet, but in this case, a slideout gamepad on one side, and flip it and its a qwerty keyboard.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]I call BS on it. Patenting concepts should NOT be allowed. Only actuals products and software. Modular smarphone is a concept. What, just because MS first patented a very obvious thing means everyone gets to pay them? F#$@ that system.[/citation]
If it's that obvious why didn't you do it first?
And as far as being a concept you will see these in production on Windows Phones, or it will be licenced to everyone, within a year
Don't believe me? Prove me wrong

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Why can't phones connect wirelessly to multiple HD displays, keyboards, mice and speakers yet? Imagine having a phone in your pocket that could do that - no matter where you are you could take advantage of proper interfaces and do actual, useful work. Then it would make sense to pack more powerful hardware into phones.. and it would also make sense for Windows 8 to be an all-in-one OS.[/citation]
Wireless HDMI is in its infancy even on desktop PCs and are a real energy suck
As far as keyboard and mouse go you probably could add a bluetooth one but a mouse on a 4" screen is insane and who is going to use a keyboard on a phone?

But at least you are seeing the future, eventually phones will have the power of an i7, the graphics of a GTX580 and the storage of a file server, all beamable to the nearest Holo-TV which will have native Kinect and voice control.

But let's just step back, there has to be a thousand excruciating increments and even a few steps backwards before we get there, maybe your kids will have one.

dgingeri

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
OK. Here's what I want to see, if anyone sees fit to build it:

Central access hub: allows configured devices to connect to each other and to the wireless network/ cell network/ internet (This would be dedicated for access to the particular network, be it AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-mobile, or your home network. Being at home switches to your home network for saving minutes and data transfer charges) Small, about 2" square kept in your pocket, purse, or clipped to the belt. Upgrades in network speed would be much more easily and cheaply obtained. Has one small readout to show battery level, network status, and configuration status. Wireless charging would be a plus
Ear phone: independent ear phone for making calls on personal network (Maybe we'll even get this kind of thing surgically implanted some day.) FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, MAKE THIS THING WORK BETTER THAN BLUETOOTH! Wireless charging would be a plus.
Controller smartpad: a simple pad with small screen (3.5-4.5") for phone control, contacts management, programs, etc, like a smart phone, but without the actual phone function and network agnostic. phone features are sent to the ear phone. Readily upgradable for new features that come out. Easily held in the hand for operating the phone pad for touch tone menus or IM, etc
Tablet: just like today's tablets, but they connect through the central controller hub, easily upgraded, no need for having multiple wireless accounts.
Car interface: have the car stereo interface with this personal network for easy access. Perhaps even have a security feature where the car won't run without the presence of the controller hub, for those of us who don't allow other people to borrow their car.
Main computer interface: have an easy way to import contacts, music, movies, etc, from the computer just with a drag and drop. also, have the computer lock when the central controller hub is not close by for a security measure.
Other small device additions: cameras could be connected to the CCH to send pictures directly over the internet while using an internal buffering system, a small vibrating buzzer could be used for hearing impaired users or those who work in loud environments, fingertip readers could be worn by visually impaired users, other devices for either input or output from the personal contact system

I know, Bluetooth was supposed to handle many things like this, but it simply falls flat. I've had horrible experiences with Bluetooth. I just want it to die at this point and be replaced with something that actually works, and has many of these features. a central controller hub would allow for much more flexibility for devices, and a much more centralized way of working with things. Upgrades would be easier. Security would be easier, and safer if done right.

jrtolson

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
im sorry in advance for this comment, but the whole patenting and patent infringment thing is just so damn ridiculus...

i know a way to make myself rich, im going to patent my penis been used for sexual intercourse with a women (maybe a man too, cover all bases lol) im writing to the patent office now (with diagrams) see all u losers in court :p

Kerching!!!

G

[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Why can't phones connect wirelessly to multiple HD displays, keyboards, mice and speakers yet? Imagine having a phone in your pocket that could do that - no matter where you are you could take advantage of proper interfaces and do actual, useful work. Then it would make sense to pack more powerful hardware into phones.. and it would also make sense for Windows 8 to be an all-in-one OS.[/citation]

Wireless Connections dont really have enough bandwidth for it. The video signal would almost certainly have to be compressed and would suffer some lag. Something MS is doing with Windows 8 is making it bootable from a USB key or HD, if they did that with the phone as well, where you could take your phone and use it then, plug it into a usb 3.0 port and then boot on another computer, using its hardware but having your copy W8 with all your files on the phone and settings. Allowing you to work on the phone itself, or any computer.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]jrtolson[/nom]im sorry in advance for this comment, but the whole patenting and patent infringment thing is just so damn ridiculus...i know a way to make myself rich, im going to patent my penis been used for sexual intercourse with a women (maybe a man too, cover all bases lol) im writing to the patent office now (with diagrams) see all u losers in court :pKerching!!![/citation]
Already been done, it's called the Kama Sutra, I have the pop-up version

Status
Not open for further replies.