Microsoft Pushing WA State to Legalize Gay Marriage

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]bobusboy[/nom]Which are peer reviewed and published in which internationally recognized journals? Give me links I want to read them then I can change what I think. (The more you know....)[/citation]

Debating this subject is like debating global warming is due to carbon-dioxide emanations or by the sun spots. Scientist are divided on the subject, but there is a clear recent push by the international status-co on scientists to support the carbon-dioxide theory. There have been a similar push on sexuality studies to mark them as solid proof. Just use Google and educate yourself. Nothing is all black or all white. In my opinion, if sexuality was genetically hard-wired, men wouldn't involve in sexual acts together in prison. The argument that it is because they are so horny they can't help it is flawed. Sexuality is really complex, and I think it is related more to psyche than biology.

But choice or not, marriage is interconnected with religion, and by being an homosexual you go against it. You have every right to be respected and live like everyone else in this modern society, but I don't see why you would want to marry. It be like me wanting to be part of some gay pride organization being heterosexual, doesn't make sense.

Another indicator that sexuality isn't genetically hard-wired. Some people encounter sexual attraction change while getting older in their lives, for different reasons. Again, the argument that they were always homosexual living in a closet cause of shame or whatever is flawed. Sometimes it's the case, sometime it is not. Don't need any study to realize that.

kj3639

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
What's up with all the trailer court shit on the forums? (Gays tuk R jawbz!!!) Microsoft has taken a great step forward by supporting this. I recently witnessed Don't Ask, Don't Tell being removed and my unit feels like a far more tolerable and equal place for all service members. This is the next step forward and Microsoft has every right to be involved in this.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]monsta[/nom]The homophobes have spoken....There are many gay people out there in the industry that should not be discriminated for their sexual preference, why should their talent be wasted?[/citation]

Again, not because someone think marriage isn't for homosexuals that the person is an instant homophone. I myself have some bi-sexual tendencies, so saying I am an homophobe is flawed, take that in your pipe mister ;)

georgieboy79

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
[citation][nom]zoenphlux[/nom]The more you push this subject the more ppl will accept it. The more that accept it equates to less babies being born and raised. Therefore the less total amount of customers. No matter how much you dont like it or disagree with it. Homosexuals hurt the future of humans because they cant produce offspring. That will never change, heterosexual activity will ALWAYS have to happen to make a baby in some form or another(sperm donor?). As far as business goes it will hurt business in the long run from less ppl in the world to buy their stuff. Wont happen today or tomorrow, but it will happen the more wide spread it goes.[/citation]

What utter nonsense. So ridiculous its funny. Do people actually think about what they are saying? In the past 200 years the planet's population has grown at a faster rate than at any time in human history - by 700%. In the past 30 years alone it has grown by around 30%. How exactly is civil rights damaging the population? If anything we need to slow the population growth down. Also it is expecting to grow by another 2-3 billion in the next few decades so I don't think they will be hurting their customer base with this lol.

By the same warped reasoning you would want to roll back equal rights for women too? God forbid they should have the means to control their own reproduction. Or how about older people who can't reproduce (or people who are infertile or even people who don't want kids)? Are they 'hurting the future of humans' too? People really need to start reading more - and by that I don't mean 2000 year old fairytales...

zoenphlux

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
Additionally you talk like homosexuality is a choice (which it isn't), this is just another indicator of what you don't know and I can't fault you for that.

There is absolutly no evidence that its done by nature. Its really a spiritual problem and they can be delivered from it just like any other sin. I have friends who have been. But if you push the bible aspect out then sure you can reason enough to make it sound right. Doesnt make it right and one day they will find it out. ITs a real problem and many do not like it and feel they dont have a choice. They just need God to learn that they do have a choice...thats like saying smoking comes naturally...?? if it was ok, then animals in nature would be that way too. humans are the only dumb enough species to say.. "HEY.....who needs offspring, I want another stick like mine to play with!"

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]zoenphlux[/nom]There is absolutly no evidence that its done by nature. Its really a spiritual problem and they can be delivered from it just like any other sin. I have friends who have been. But if you push the bible aspect out then sure you can reason enough to make it sound right. Doesnt make it right and one day they will find it out. ITs a real problem and many do not like it and feel they dont have a choice. They just need God to learn that they do have a choice...thats like saying smoking comes naturally...?? if it was ok, then animals in nature would be that way too. humans are the only dumb enough species to say.. "HEY.....who needs offspring, I want another stick like mine to play with!"[/citation]
No, we need fewer bible thumping drones.....

Apparently, Religion = ANTI-EQUAL RIGHTS....

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]zoenphlux[/nom]There is absolutly no evidence that its done by nature. Its really a spiritual problem and they can be delivered from it just like any other sin. I have friends who have been. But if you push the bible aspect out then sure you can reason enough to make it sound right. Doesnt make it right and one day they will find it out. ITs a real problem and many do not like it and feel they dont have a choice. They just need God to learn that they do have a choice...thats like saying smoking comes naturally...?? if it was ok, then animals in nature would be that way too. humans are the only dumb enough species to say.. "HEY.....who needs offspring, I want another stick like mine to play with!"[/citation]

Problem is by saying that you discredit yourself. People don't like to be lectured, and will label you as a religious zealot. Keep your faith to your close friends. You're just giving fuel to the atheists, and at the same time look like a fool to the homosexuals. Don't want to be rude, just saying the facts.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
"This is a myth, pure and simple. Although studies have turned up evidence that certain factors might play a role, nothing at this point has been even remotely conclusive. In fact, every major theory to date has at least some pretty substantial evidence against it. At this point, the most we can say is that we simply don't know. We don't know what causes heterosexual attraction or homosexual attraction, and it's not likely that we'll have an answer to the question any time soon.

Please don't misunderstand what I'm saying here. Some people interpret "there isn't any conclusive evidence" to mean "biology has nothing to do with it; it's all development or choice." That is not true at all. In fact, the evidence weighs very heavily in favor of a biological component, but it doesn't look like biology can explain it alone. The evidence for non-biological theories (such as the theories put forth by Moberly and Nicolosi and promoted by conservative groups like Focus on the Family) is no better than that for the biological theories. The best evidence indicates that there is a combination of biological and environmental factors working to shape a person's sexuality in the formative years, but at this point we just don't know how it works."

http://www.angelfire.com/nc/yakkow/choice.html

Have a good read, even if it's not an "official" study. Again, nothing is all black or white. I'm out of here. Too much narrow minded people.

georgieboy79

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
It's funny. These religious objectors say gay people have a problem yet they talk to an invisible friend, nail sculptures of a dying man to their walls or wear them around their neck but no one sees fit to assess their mental stability?
I have no problem with people worshiping whatever absentee 'creator' they want. They should, however, remember that modern western civilization was built on a secular basis for good reason - zealots are dangerous - so their beliefs should have no part in the policy and law-making of a country like the USA.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]georgieboy79[/nom]It's funny. These religious objectors say gay people have a problem yet they talk to an invisible friend, nail sculptures of a dying man to their walls or wear them around their neck but no one sees fit to assess their mental stability?I have no problem with people worshiping whatever absentee 'creator' they want. They should, however, remember that modern western civilization was built on a secular basis for good reason - zealots are dangerous - so their beliefs should have no part in the policy and law-making of a country like the USA.[/citation]

If you read the bible carefully, you will realize that God forbid idol worshipping in any form, and despite men "traditions". Faith and organized religions are two completely different things.

georgieboy79

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
[citation][nom]n3ard3ath[/nom]If you read the bible carefully, you will realize that God forbid idol worshipping in any form, and despite men "traditions". Faith and organized religions are two completely different things.[/citation]
[citation][nom]georgieboy79[/nom]Correction, should read...so their 'church' should have no part in the policy and law-making of a country like the USA.[/citation]

Hence the correction... :)

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
This is ridiculous.

Where the hell have Microsoft been the last 20 years when the gays were being beaten and strung up?

Now, they come out in support of gay marriage, but only because it is good for their business to do so.

No thanks, Microsoft. Your support isn't needed.

Go to hell.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]n3ard3ath[/nom]If you read the bible carefully, you will realize that God forbid idol worshipping in any form, and despite men "traditions". Faith and organized religions are two completely different things.[/citation]

Even if you just happen to randomly flip through a few pages of the bible and not read it carefully, it's made pretty clear that you as a human being have no bearing to judge any other human being and that you are expected to love your fellow human beings no matter WHAT they do to you. Any Christian is in a position to educate, but not to pass judgement. Ask yourself what would Jesus do. He may have disagreed with it, but he would not have stopped it. He regularly befriended the sickly and sinning.

Whether or not it's a choice or biological is irrelevant, in America we have the freedom of choice. Whether it's against the Bible is irrelevant, because in America there is a separation of Church and State, one of the very foundations of this country, which was formed to escape a king's religious beliefs. Churches have the right to deny the religious marriage ceremony, it's their rite after all. The state however does not have the right to deny a homosexual domestic partnership the same civil rights and benefits that a heterosexual couple enjoys. For all social purposes they share a home and use the same shared resources that a man and woman would.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Do you realize that homosexual behavior has been seen in hundreds of species all over the world? Male-male, female-female, even group sex has been seen in the animal kingdom, it's not exactly a human only thing. Humans are most definitely not the only species who engage in homosexual behavior, we are just the only ones who think it is "evil" and should be "purged" from the world.

G

Most homosexuals want to marry for tax breaks and "married people's" benefits. I don't mind people getting some kind of break for civil unions but don't call it marriage.

I'm glad I've never purchased anything more than a mouse from Microsoft, and thank God I live in Texas.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]keyanf[/nom]I'd prefer they push Washington (state) to stop giving heterosexual couples legal/tax benefits instead.[/citation]

lets not stop there, through out the old tax code completely that is written in legaliese, and make it a VERY simple tax rate to figure out. and have it all deducted from your pay on a weekly basis, and none of this april crap where you get money back or have to give more.

make it a 30%ish tax (not sure what most people pay, but i know friends who pay damn near 40%) and make it a done deal. make all money gained count as income tax, and dont touch stocks. if you gain 100 million in stocks, its untouched, till you want to take it out of stocks, than its taxed at the normal rate. you win money gambling, see it as income and not as a vice.

STOP TRYING TO CONTROL HUMAN BEHAVIOR THOUGH TAX INCENTIVES

make it a simple number that everyone can figure out easily, and dont amend ANYTHING for corporations complaining that its not "fair" that reason alone is why tax code is over what, 1000 pages long when it should take less than 10

Zagen30

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
[citation][nom]n3ard3ath[/nom]But choice or not, marriage is interconnected with religion, and by being an homosexual you go against it.[/citation]

Marriage is a secular institution in the US, hence the reason that a marriage license is issued by the state and not by any place of worship. Whether or not any religious group looks kindly on a particular marriage is irrelevant with regards to the rights that a state-approved marriage bestows upon the couple. If it were a religious concern, then why are atheists and agnostics allowed to marry? Also, many liberal sects of various religions accept gay marriage, so you can't just make the blanket statement that "gay marriage goes against religion."

[citation][nom]n3ard3ath[/nom]You have every right to be respected and live like everyone else in this modern society, but I don't see why you would want to marry.[/citation]

Every heterosexual couple (minus extremely close relatives) has the right to live as legally bonded kin, so by that logic homosexual couples should have the same right. There are several legal rights and obligations that are only extended to married couples; many gay couples who want to spend of the rest of their lives together would very much appreciate being entitled to these rights. Plus, they would also just like to be held in the same social standing as straight married people and not told that something fundamental to 90% of this country is denied to them on grounds that they likely do not care about (religious doctrine).

[citation][nom]n3ard3ath[/nom]It be like me wanting to be part of some gay pride organization being heterosexual, doesn't make sense.[/citation]

Many straight people support their gay friends and show solidarity by participating in gay pride events. Knowing that people outside your group accept you and are willing to fight for your rights is incredibly heartening, and you don't have to be part of an oppressed group to see an injustice carried out and to want to end that injustice. Should white people not have participated in civil rights movement groups in the 60s because they weren't black?

Status
Not open for further replies.