Microsoft Rumored to Retire Windows Live Messenger Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

unoriginal1

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
"Fundamental to the value proposition of communications is to reach people whether they’re on your device or not."

Someone please forward this to Tim Cook. :)

G

A little late to the game here MS announced the death of all "live" products sometime late last year, or early this year.

Soon, there will be no more "Live" branded products. YAY!

G

It has been two years since i used Live Messenger, and it appears that i was their only customer. Only my international friend and i were talking regularly on it for several years until she told me to use Skype. I assume that I bought around $100 worth of international calls.

G

I also have to add that Messenger seemed a bit outdated and XP feel. Telephone service was from some Mexican telephone company providing credits.

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
To be honest, I rarely used WLM.
Furthermore, the newest version of the program seems to be extremely bloated, or woefully inefficient.
It takes a long time to install - and similarly so to remove from the system.
Since Skype included WLM contacts in 5.11 Beta version (am on v6 now of course), I decided it was prudent to remove WLM for good from my system.
At least its one less software to worry about (and seemingly inefficient one at that).

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I thought this was rumored a couple of months ago.

Geesh I've totally forgotten about WLM. I still have some people on it, but never talk to them, or I do so on Facebook. I rarely use AIM, YIM and GoogleTalk anymore, either.

zorky9

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Desktop chat clients somehow just became irrelevant because of mobile clients - Tango, Skype, Oovoo, and Viber to name a few. And MSFT has Lync in the enterprise space.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
I think it won't be bad if it's integrated into Skype, but separate clients would be better. There's also a good amount of third-party clients out there

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
It only makes sense to remove it if its redundant now. Why have two different clients that can pretty much do the same thing?

mas

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2004
Its time to integrate Skype!

That said,, while Skype is rather reliable, it has the kludgiest interface imaginable - one almost up to MS's standards! With no configurable contact customization, and a non-configurable user interface it is a pain in the ass to use despite its greater reliability.

Heck I would be ecstatic if they simply copied Yahoo Messenger's interface - which is by no means perfect but still light years ahead of Skype.

And Skype support for paid user accounts? It makes PayPal look efficient!

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]ttg_Avenged[/nom]Lol, the last time I've used messenger was, oh wait, never. Not kidding. MS + Social don't seem to brew too well.[/citation]
What has Messenger got to do with social? Nothing, totally wrong track there
OK, you can import Facebook contacts into Messmger, but you can do Facebook integration with just about everything these days so not exactly Microsoft pushing it, more Facebook pushing it
Good troll attempt though, keep practicing, maybe by the time you get to be 15 years old you will have mastered some of the more subtle points of the troll master

Status
Not open for further replies.