Microsoft Source Claims Xbox 720 Arriving in 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon S

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Sounds good. Hopefully they overhauled it compared to the 360 and again hopefully it will have a much lower failure rate that the 360.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Sick of new trend to base games around the controls - touchscreen, accelerometer, gyroscope, Kinect... FFS, I only want games with graphics, gameplay and storyline, I don't give a $h!t about how "cool" and "innovative" the controller is. So screw you, 720, but then again, did I expect anything different? :D

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
Well there goes the 2012 hype, on to my 2012 PC build which will crush the xbox 720 even if comes out a year after. I was really hoping for a 2012 release, not that i wouldn't have built a PC in that time frame as well just would of made more sense, these long life cycles are really slowing down the industry as a whole since consoles control the market on innovation. Its like buying a Honda and getting the same model with the same features for 8 years.. Ridiculous.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]I hope the GPU can at least faster than my GTX570.[/citation]
I hope it's better than GTX580s in Triple SLI mode and fully capable of playing games taking full advantage of the Unreal 4 engine.

I also hope they change the name a bit. "720" might look a bit "dated", as it pertains to resolution. Maybe the XBOX 1080?

Hopefully it will have: Kinect built in, backward compatibility with XBOX and XBOX 360 games

Also, I hope they port more XBOX games (like the newer versions of Halo) to PC.

secolliyn

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
It is about time but I think they are doing it all wrong again and they will most likely continue doing it wrong... Now I'm not saying I know how they should be done but I have a few ideas that could make things better

#1 Bring out a base console every 10 years
Reason: With so many cores they will have on Chip you really don't need that much more horsepower PC these days don't use all 4 Cores let alone an I7 920 with Hyper-threading simulating 8 Cores

#2 with in those 10 years once a year release a user upgradeable video card
Reason: This will stop the gap we are seeing now consoles are 12 Generations behind what PC builders can get and by the time new consoles come out we will be looking at 14-15 Gens

This is how they can be Easily Implemented
have 3 Choices Good, Better ,Best
when the new line comes up get rid of Good shift those down and add one more powerful card as best.

Next so you don't confuse people
Rank Video games on said system a 1.1 would be launch video cards at least the Good video card to play where as a 1.3 would be launch video cards Best video card in lineup with the next cards come out 2.X,3.X Ect Ect Ect
This will lead to better consoles it may put more pressure on Game makers but they are big boys they can handle it and it gives them a better market for games

We all have friends that praise consoles for what good graphics they have.... all of my friends have been over and seen what my 5770 can show with with Tessellation enabled and they are blown away and they always ask the same question When will my PS3/XBOX be able to do that? and i tell them wait until the PS4/Next xbox and then maybe it will be able to do it

mauller07

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
[citation][nom]secolliyn[/nom]It is about time but I think they are doing it all wrong again and they will most likely continue doing it wrong... Bring out a base console every 10 years Reason: With so many cores they will have on Chip you really don't need that much more horsepower PC these days don't use all 4 Cores with in those 10 years once a year release a user upgradeable video This will stop the gap we are seeing now consoles are behind what PC builders can get [/citation]

Essentially what you are saying is the basics of what a PC is, the best way they could do it is to make a basic PC with a set specification, have deals with the manufacturers to continue making and supporting the specific parts and have all games for this PC as the minimum requirements. they could even release for this PC a specific OS that allows the games to be hot playable from disc rather than HDD installed if it was to be used on a fully functional PC OS to cater to the living room and console style playing.

a system like this would maintain backwards compatibility and also allow future upgrades if the user wished. but console manufacturers would never do this because they prefer the money they make on their closed systems.

And the mention on 4 core processors, a lot of new games can utilise or even need 4 cores to function at their best, the xbox 360 even has 3 cores in its CPU

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]xbeater[/nom]Late 2005 the 360 was launched... Late 2013 the 720 will come...That's an 8 year lifetime... you can raise a small child in that time...[/citation]
I am... :) Looks like he'll be getting a Wii this Christmas ($120) and maybe I'll get the PS3 next year.

xbox 720 = most likely a code name, but would be stupid to use it.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Nintendo and Sony still have better exclusive franchises.

I'm not a console gamer, but I might buy a PS4 if it has backwards compatibility.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]Nintendo and Sony still have better exclusive franchises.I'm not a console gamer, but I might buy a PS4 if it has backwards compatibility.[/citation]
If the PS4 isn't backwards capable for ps3 games, I will officially boycott it, despite how I feel about the XBox.
So guys, the PS3 has 5 (working) cores (and a 6th secondary core) running at 3.2 GHz (core2 speed for reference), but the graphics chip is nearly identical to the XBox one, which is why most of the games run at the same quality as the XBox. We shouldn't worry about what processor the next-gen will have, but instead what GPU they will have. I'm banking on at least the 7000 series AMD cores.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]I am... Looks like he'll be getting a Wii this Christmas ($120) and maybe I'll get the PS3 next year.xbox 720 = most likely a code name, but would be stupid to use it.[/citation]

Poor kid, trained for inferior gaming from the childhood :lol:

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
You guys are expecting triple SLI 580GTX power? The original XBOX was like a GeForce4, the 360 was like a 7600, so if they can get the juice of a single 570 out of it, the games will look amazing. I think the games look amazing now. 2011 was an great year for gaming, do you really think the current gen life cycle is dead?

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
As long as the GPU can pop out 1080P at 60fps with the equivalent of DX10 it will already have been a quantum leap above the current generation of consoles, and you can already manage that with 4 year old GPU.

Until consoles are required to push out to 4K screens of the future they will not require anything like the power of a 580GTX.

If you really, really, really want super-duper hi-res gaming with all the best visual effects
... buy a PC

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
[citation][nom]KawiNinjaZX[/nom]You guys are expecting triple SLI 580GTX power? The original XBOX was like a GeForce4, the 360 was like a 7600, so if they can get the juice of a single 570 out of it, the games will look amazing. I think the games look amazing now. 2011 was an great year for gaming, do you really think the current gen life cycle is dead?[/citation]

(citation needed)

lasaldude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]I hope it's better than GTX580s in Triple SLI mode and fully capable of playing games taking full advantage of the Unreal 4 engine.I also hope they change the name a bit. "720" might look a bit "dated", as it pertains to resolution. Maybe the XBOX 1080?Hopefully it will have: Kinect built in, backward compatibility with XBOX and XBOX 360 gamesAlso, I hope they port more XBOX games (like the newer versions of Halo) to PC.[/citation]

That's a lot of hoping!!

Status
Not open for further replies.