Microsoft Suing BitTorrent Tracker for $43M

Status
Not open for further replies.

kobbra

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
[citation][nom]doc70[/nom]MS will pay more money with the lawsuit than it will/would make in case of winning the suit.[/citation]

...and as always is not about the money, it's about the principle(sic)

G

and, what about peppermint case? Microsoft cannot report ip to police.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Down with this shit! Information should be FREE. Creativity is a gift that SHOULD be shared.

There are plenty ways to earn money with one's work without whoring for money and lawsuits!

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]Down with this shit! Information should be FREE. Creativity is a gift that SHOULD be shared.There are plenty ways to earn money with one's work without whoring for money and lawsuits![/citation]

... You're an idiot.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]Down with this shit! Information should be FREE. Creativity is a gift that SHOULD be shared.There are plenty ways to earn money with one's work without whoring for money and lawsuits![/citation]
Information is free, but work is not and it should be rewarded. There is work behind any product and software is no different. Maybe you should try work sometimes...

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
[citation][nom]kobbra[/nom]...and as always is not about the money, it's about the principle(sic)[/citation]
I was just stating the obvious, didn't say anything about right or wrong (of going ahead with the lawsuit). See the difference?

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
well.... no matter who wins.... the lawyers always win!!!

sometimes.. I kind of wondering are those lawyers the big hands behind these suiting culture we are having these days...?.....

Guess I'd better keep my mouth shut.. or the big brothers will suit me to the death and squiz me to the last drop... >_<

lol

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009

I'd sure like to know what you do for a living...
let me guess.. nothing?

I put as much work into coding all day at a games company that any brick layer would, or customer service rep, ect.

its hippies like you that put me off open source in general!
(on that note, why don't you get open office if you care so much?)

scientists spend there entire lives making some breakthroughs that radically change the world for the better, are you saying their work is worthless?

itrendslave

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]Information should be FREE.[/citation]
I agree! Intellectual property, however, is a completely different story.
Go shower. You smell too much like a hippie -- spouting your idealist nonsense like that.

Cronospx

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
i can say that almost 80 % off ppl are pirates in lithuania. you ask why? imagine average salary is 660$/month and not all get so much, minimum is 240$/month. And even hardware cost a lot more that in USA, f.e. i5 750 255$. Only companys use legal software, other individuals uses pirated windows, except they get legal software with laptop...We have no chance to spend so many money on softwares and hardware so we pirate :)

ak47lt

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
A lot of people in developing countries use pirated software only because it is so easy to get it. It is generally not considered a crime by public and open source is very unpopular. I think such trials could make at least one good thing - teach people that there is more to life than just pirated Microsoft products (Linux, OpenOffice...). And even if Microsoft is an absolute must, then it is not so expensive in relation to the whole PC cost...
I lived in Lithuania for a long time, so I know the situation...

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
I'm not sure if I've would go as far as to call it a developing country, it's not Somalia with starving kids living in cardboard boxes or anything but it sure is a corrupt government, just like Russia and M$ most likely has bribed its way through.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]kobbra[/nom]...and as always is not about the money, it's about the principle(sic)[/citation]
it if weren't about the money they wouldn't sue ... interlectual property is about protecting your gold vein ... not about principles of what's morally sound.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]ak47lt[/nom]A lot of people in developing countries use pirated software only because it is so easy to get it. It is generally not considered a crime by public and open source is very unpopular. I think such trials could make at least one good thing - teach people that there is more to life than just pirated Microsoft products (Linux, OpenOffice...). And even if Microsoft is an absolute must, then it is not so expensive in relation to the whole PC cost...I lived in Lithuania for a long time, so I know the situation...[/citation]
I would disagree. Even basic software counting OS, office, Antivirus can easily get more expensive then whole computer hardware.
Maybe companies like Microsoft should consider reduced pricing for countries where majority cant afford it instead of suing.
If you pay your 1-2 years savings you are not going to spent another 6-12 months saving for BASIC software.
And with linux, I bet you find even less people capable to use it when they barely work with windows as unfortunately its not something you could learn in elementary or high school.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]doc70[/nom]Information is free, but work is not and it should be rewarded. There is work behind any product and software is no different. Maybe you should try work sometimes...[/citation]
I work my ass off. I barely managed to pay rent this month. I ripped office 2003 and 2007.
I also legally own 4 copies of XP and two copies of Win7.
I think I've paid enough.
I will support whichever companies I choose to.

I believe I can see the point of this scenario, btu I still believe Microsoft should back down.
However, they have the muscle and power that they could easily do a lot worse. This is just a slight flex of their muscle to remind people. How about Win7 having over 1% market share before its official public release date? You can't tell me that most of them have MSDN or partnership licenses etc. Microsoft let people have Win7.

Status
Not open for further replies.