Microsoft: There's No Need for a New Xbox Yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Well, it's good to be a PC gamer.. though I'm sure Natal will have some fun things, motion sensing in my experience is often played out by gimmicky games. What will really breathe new life into system is if developers peak out visuals and are forced to work on game-play and innovative ideas.

festerovic

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
This is what I read:
"We have lost $4 billion on this xbox thing. If we make another console, we lose the market share we have right now, and the only thing making money (software licenses) will dry up. So, we will continue to ride the current dominance into the future, and hopefully then we will make some money."

logitic

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
I don't blame them for not making a new one yet. I know lots of people who still don't have a 360. Weird thing is everyone had an xbox and only like 6 of my friends own a 360.

nun

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
if we re still gaming on the xbox 360 in 2014 then a lot more people will be going to pc gamming

G

Eff that I want DX11 on my new console now.....

Looks like the PC gaming market might get some loven in the next few years if there are no new consoles.

G

Yeah, that graphics system with 512MB video memory will be hot shit in 2015 - cellphones will be outperforming that by then...

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Microsoft made a poorly constructed machine, that didn't account for things like proper cooling and has lost billions.

Sony leveraged a system that was poorly designed as a game system to win a format war. The machine has serious design flaws, such as insufficient video memory, a difficult to program for processor, and overpriced components across the board. They lost their ass to the tune of billions.

Nintendo marketed an overclocked gamecube with a gimmick controller to the casual gaming market. They did great in sales initially, only to realize casual gamers don't buy games, and let the console sit and collect dust after the novelty wore off. Making a slight profit off the consoles themselves, and getting healthy sales from in house titles, Nindendo's turning a profit overall, and doesn't seem to care that they could be doing much much better than they are.

They all seem like screw-ups to me.

G

Natal is supposedly going to use 15-20% of the cpu power. You would hope they would at least release a new Pro edition with an updated Cpu and Graphics chip in it; to handle the performance drop from Natal.

UbeRveLT

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
[citation][nom]nun[/nom]if we re still gaming on the xbox 360 in 2014 then a lot more people will be going to pc gamming[/citation]

Agreed.

I'm sure MS can come up with a new console with dual i7's 8GB ram and a fermi chip or something, but it would cost them a fortune to design and build, not to mention writing new games for the console. And given the fact that the 360 failed so hard for the first year or so, people will be a lot more cautious of a new "MS" console.

enzo matrix

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
Is everyone missing this?
"There is no need to launch a new console, because we're able to give this console new life either with software upgrades or hardware upgrades"

enzo matrix

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
Is everyone missing this?
"There is no need to launch a new console, because we're able to give this console new life either with software upgrades or hardware upgrades"

G

Quite like a new console now tbh..

Although I like having a PC that I can be confident will shit on games yet to be released...

Pros and Cons I guess..

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
PC's will never be supirior to consoles,never have and never will. Most people like just putting in a game and playing and not haveing to configure the entire pc each time they get a game. Also they don't want to
be bothered with Hard drive pauses and window crashes.

foody

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
[citation][nom]nun[/nom]if we re still gaming on the xbox 360 in 2014 then a lot more people will be going to pc gamming[/citation]

Actually, I think the rate that graphics are developing compared to hardware is going to sell PCs. It isn't very expensive at all to get a low end gaming computer that can play any new game at decent frame rates. Right now is the perfect time to get someone's first gaming PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.