Microsoft: We'll Sell 5 Million Kinects in 2 Months

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
You obviously only read the title alyoshka. Like a lot of toms the headline is a bit misleading. With testing it's been found out to be mostly lightin that causes the problem.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Played sports with Sony Move, disk golf / archery was quite fun. Didn't like using Move in "Heavy Rain".

I wonder how many "Moves" did Sony sell.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
motion games can be fun but i just hope they don't try to make most games require motion control.. last thing i want after a good day's work when i'm sore is to come home and have to flail in my living room .. i wanna sit in my chair with a heating pad to help my back and relax to recouperate.

i understand our kids are getting obese and lazy (well somep people's rather... gotta make your kids exersize and do real work ) but video games aren't the answer, the answer is having them go outside to play, to be in the sunlight, build forts, run in the yard, rake leaves and other physical movement ... but who am i kidding most people won't let thier kids out the house such is the state of our culture so if a motion video game is your idea of working your kids out well good luck with that

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
with only a hand full of mediocre main stream games backing it's launch ? i highly doubt they will hit thier predicted numbers. it's certainly not a must have for me. now halo reach , or dead rising 2 or fable 3 , those are must haves for MOST ANY xbox 360 owner. but kinect is only for teh few people that are into casual gaming , and well , that group of gamers makes up onlya tiny portion of xbox gamers.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Stryter[/nom]I'm skeptical on their prediction (like many on here I would imagine) but I wish Microsoft the best with Kinect.I plan to wait a good while before making the decision to get one. I want to see some "hardcore-oriented" titles for it and see how well (or not) they implement the technology. Although, I will say this, that if Mass Effect 3 makes some kind of use of Kinect, whether motion-sensing or voice, I will probably splooge myself and be forced to buy it without giving it any further rational thought.[/citation]
[citation][nom]Restatement3dofTed[/nom]Indeed. I really hope Microsoft (and other devs) takes an aggressive approach to trying to find ways to adapt high-quality, non-gimmick games to Kinect. I've never personally been interested in an FPS for Kinect, since the thought of having to hold my hands up shouting "pew pew!" just doesn't appeal to me (but who knows? maybe someone will turn out a good one - Child of Eden does seem intriguing), but it does seem like there's some potential for other really good games - as long as developers are willing to try and sort something out. The Star Wars Kinect game looks like a step in the right direction - just hoping that other people push Kinect's boundaries, rather than writing it off from the beginning.And now for the downranking from the "HURRRRR KINECT" crowd.[/citation]

to me that is just the problem with sucha device , it can't really be worked into any exsisting hard core franchises with out coming off as a gimmic (inside of that game ). what it needs is not to have exsisting franchises try to squeeze use out of it , but to have all new hardciore games that are based around it's functioning. seriously if i see a GoW 4 or a halo game that makes use of this junk i';ll vomit up my inards and avoid said game. don't try to fix what aint borken by forcing kinect controls into exsisting IP , please.

Kahless01

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
all they need for the kinect is mortal kombat. tho hell if youre going to pretend fight you might as well really fight. but it would be cool to see.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]6 months! In six months none of these Kinects will be still in use. They'll gather dust somewhere forgotten in the house.Wishful thinking M$! Wishful thinking![/citation]
As long as Microsoft gets the money from the sale, they couldn't care less if you use your Xbox 360 to prop up a wonky chair.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
5 million Kinects with 5+ million people flailing about in front of their TVs will cause the Earth's axis to shift. Scientist had better start the fear mongering now.

edec

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
Went to a game expo here in Stockholm yesterday and was a big push with Kinect there - shamefully have to admit that the system works really well! I can see good things coming soon with this... and it's so much better not having to have anything in your hands to make it work (yeah talking about you, PS3 / Wii)

reaper2794

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
So sad, not only do they play consoles, now they're into motion control in a video game HAHAHAHA

Please gtfo, buy a computer and play gaming the way it's meant to be played

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
You FPS kinect kids make me laugh. What makes you think that they cannot integrate actions using both the controller and kinect. There is no reason you would have to point your finger and say pew pew.

Move and Shoot = Controller
Switch Weapons = Controller
Lean around corners = Kinect
Hand signals/Voice commands = Kinect

I think the possibility for amazing interaction is definitely there. Wait until some of these brilliant devs think outside the box and wow us.

Its not a guarantee of course, but just because you can't think of cool ways to use it does not mean others will not.

Last but not least, the tech works great. Give it enough light (like any camera) and it is incredibly accurate.

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
I am surprised at all the people on hear complaining about it not being for hard core users...I thought everyone knew that Kinect is mostly a casual gamer device?

The Kinect isn't about FPS games (which, although some are top sellers, pretty much any top 10 Wii game pwns every FPS console game). It is trying to get the casual gamer crowd. Hardcore gamers already have a system and they already if they wanted casual games they would have gotten a Wii. This is to attract the large casual gamer market to Xbox whether it is in the form of people that have never bought a system or to get people to switch from the Wii. You know the crowd, the one that's bought over 550 million Wii games (which doesn't include the bundled Wii party).

Also, I am pretty sure Kinect games, like Wii games, cost a fraction of the cost of the modern FPS. They don't need to sell a ton to make a killing if their margin is substantially higher.

They are also going to try and attract some hard core gamers by using Kinect features in some games but I don't think that is their focus.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]descendency[/nom]5 million Kinects with 5+ million people flailing about in front of their TVs will cause the Earth's axis to shift. Scientist had better start the fear mongering now.[/citation]

Microsoft is a software company they would like to sell you software and not the crappy hardware. They've created this gadget for the sake of selling even more software titles.
If it is useless and the people do not buy more games that require it that is a loss for MS.

G

this WILL be a standard feature for all consoles from here onwards, the success of the wii has ensured that all consoles from hence forth will incorporate some kind of motion device as well as netflix

now i just wished they make a decent enough fishing game based upon motion sensing, dont care how silly i look just make it fun and im sold

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
They really need to drop the prices of the introductory games because they're pretty much copies of Wii Sports. Translation, they're just all kind of dumb. Real games for the Kinect won't come out until 2011/2012. I heard an estimate that real games won't come out for another 18 months.

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]As long as Microsoft gets the money from the sale, they couldn't care less if you use your Xbox 360 to prop up a wonky chair.[/citation]

Don't forget about the Live subscription. If no one was playing their 360's, they wouldn't be getting subscribers for that and making a bunch more money. For every million subscribers X 50 bucks, that's 50 million bucks (just as example). It's in their best interest to keep 360 owners engaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.