Microsoft's Zune HD Dead Again, Maybe for Good

Status
Not open for further replies.

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Yeah, media players are going to die. Phones will take over their responsibilities. The only media players that'll survive, are iPod-nano sized devices, just because their lighter and convenient for working out. ok and maybe something you can hook up to a camera for those professional types but ultimately phones will take over most of those types of responsibilities. Tri-quarters for the win.

beta tester

Distinguished
May 4, 2010
Windows Mobile = dead
Zune = dead
Kin = dead

There are still a few Windows Phones on the market, but we know that they'll go the same way as all of Microsoft's previous portable / mobile products.

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
I'll give M$ credit here for having a good product; I highly preferred it over the iPod. It just came out late and couldn't compete with Apples marketing.

flacoman3

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
I wouldn't say it died. I feel like it evolved into windows phone 7; Microsoft saw how well its style and interface worked, and pulled it into its new products. What is dead is the idea of a media player as a separate entity from the phone. So begone with all this fatalistic talk!

runswindows95

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
[citation][nom]afrobacon[/nom]I'll give M$ credit here for having a good product; I highly preferred it over the iPod. It just came out late and couldn't compete with Apples marketing.[/citation]

Yeah, it was a great player, but when it came out, the average person called any mp3 player an "Ipod". Iad that happen to me when I was using my Sandisk Sansa.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]runswindows95[/nom]Yeah, it was a great player, but when it came out, the average person called any mp3 player an "Ipod". Iad that happen to me when I was using my Sandisk Sansa.[/citation]

I know what you mean man. I used to own a Creative Zen Vision M which I liked because it had better audio quality than the iPod but after my Vision M connector died I was left with a player unable to connect to a PC and thus unable to get any new content. So I disassembled it and used the hard drive with an external enclosure I got from ebay lol.

Years later I got a Sansa Clip + 8gb on ebay and have never looked back. It's lightweight, great for exercise, it clips unto your clothes! and the audio quality is pretty damn good.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]afrobacon[/nom]I'll give M$ credit here for having a good product; I highly preferred it over the iPod. It just came out late and couldn't compete with Apples marketing.[/citation]
which is a really weak excuse considering they were a multi bllion dollar company. they clearly had little control over it.

G

The ability to market that product effectively benchmark is so low you could trip over it and still succeed. Zune nice concept, visually appealing brand and right execution - just run by morons who are still trying to figure out how to graduate from the Kellogs Product Management training courses found internally on roleguide.

AMDkid1

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Hey Microsoft. Better marketing would made all the difference. Your Marketing SUCKS. Here in Taiwan, just got my hands on the MANGO WP7.5 phone. What a flop. It's a great if you want an MP3 player.
Absolutely, a piece of junk, Way too many restrictions. This Phone will FAIL. I promise you. Because of the very poor marketing by MS. And too many locked out features. No freedoms.

Asgaroth

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
I'm still using Zune 120 - best hdd player ever. and kills apple in sound quality. too bad that thing is off the shelf - I wish they had 200gb released for my library.

Asgaroth

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
And by the way Zune Software for browsing though the artist is way BETTER than ITunes. And I'm writing this post on MacBook Pro

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Still no other real HD radios on the market. This sucks. Just a piece of junk from Insignia...

That was the truly interesting part of the ZuneHD to me... The killer feature that almost had be buying one, despite my hate of touch-only media devices...

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]Asgaroth[/nom]I'm still using Zune 120 - best hdd player ever. and kills apple in sound quality. too bad that thing is off the shelf - I wish they had 200gb released for my library.[/citation]
I know quite a few people who were ticked off that they never made a bigger one... There is a market for these... It isn't a huge one, but it is one that can make money to those willing to deal with smaller non-Applesque margins...

Status
Not open for further replies.