Mid range audio workstation

Ryzenhasrisen

Prominent
May 30, 2017
Hello, recently I’ve been working on putting together a system for a friend who does a lot in audio production and music on her computer. Shes been in need of a new system for a while so I offered to help. I’ve got just about everything somewhat nailed down, but as I don’t do much audio work myself, I don’t know if she would need any additional sound card or external thing. Are they worth it? And are there any good but not overly expensive headphones that are still of good quality for under $100? And finally, what kind of storage setup would be suitable for mass storage of music and audio files? (4tb?)Thanks, and happy Christmas everyone!

Solution
not a build but suggestion. go with ryzen cpu. tons of ram. most DAW's love ram when loading vst's...dont need a high end gpu but it helps to offload graphic work to the gpu. under 100$ headphones is personal choice. you dont really hear a sound difference in cans till you get the 500-900$ headphones. try and get a M.2 ssd thats large. dont get a mechanical 4tb hdd. get a 2gb ssd and a 4 tb for your storage after the track is produced and bounced.

my opinion is you dont need a internal sound card. todays built in sound on the mobo is absolutely fine and all your after-effects are done after the amp anyway. i think they are redundant. (sound cards)

good luck

ARICH5

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
not a build but suggestion. go with ryzen cpu. tons of ram. most DAW's love ram when loading vst's...dont need a high end gpu but it helps to offload graphic work to the gpu. under 100$ headphones is personal choice. you dont really hear a sound difference in cans till you get the 500-900$ headphones. try and get a M.2 ssd thats large. dont get a mechanical 4tb hdd. get a 2gb ssd and a 4 tb for your storage after the track is produced and bounced.

my opinion is you dont need a internal sound card. todays built in sound on the mobo is absolutely fine and all your after-effects are done after the amp anyway. i think they are redundant. (sound cards)

good luck

Solution

Ryzenhasrisen

Prominent
May 30, 2017

Thank you that’s very helpful. I was looking at possibly a ryzen 1600x and 16 gb of ram. As she did have a few light games and said she did want to start playing more I was also toying with the idea of a 1060. I don’t know if any of these are good choices, as most my builds are either for gaming or for office work. Is the 1600x and 16 gigs of ram enough, and is it a mistake getting a 1060? Thanks.