Migrating backed up Winamp play counts from XP to Windows 7?

ulillillia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
I've just migrated from Windows XP to Windows 7 and my backed up play counts are not being recognized in Windows 7 like they were in XP. I backed up the entire "ml" directory from the plugins directory along with gen_ml.ini and gen_mud.ini. I copied and pasted these over as needed and Winamp isn't picking up on it like it was before. Any ideas what changes, if necessary, that I need to do so I can keep my play counts continuing? I'm using version 5.63 which was the last version I was using before the migration.

ulillillia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
I've tried reinstalling Winamp and the media library is empty, still. Winamp itself was not backed up, just the play counts and media library list. I was told by the Winamp community long ago that all I needed to do was back up the entire "ml" directory in the "plugins" folder and also back up the gen_ml.ini and gen_mud.ini files. When I migrated from Windows 98 to XP back in February of 2006, the copy paste method worked very well. If I reinstalled XP, simply copying and pasting is all need to bring back the files for the media library and all the play counts I had. This time, it's not. Need screenshots?

Edit: in fact, if I were to install XP again (I'd have to somehow split the partition temporarily in order to do that), install Winamp, put my backed up content in, and I'd get the list of songs and their play counts just fine.

StickyJamGamer

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
Try Running the Winamp in the Compatibility Mode.

To do this. Follow these steps:

1.Right click on the main exe and then go to it's properties.

2.Properties dialog box will appear

3.Look for a tab which says "Compatibility" and click on that.

4.Then under the option "Compatibility Mode" you will see a check box which says "Run this program for compatibility mode for".

5.Check that box and make sure Windows XP is selected.

Try Running the Winamp now as administrator. Tell me if it works or not.

ulillillia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
I've tried that and there's no change. The media library data files are not being detected. I have a feeling that it's because the program is in the "Program Files (x86)" directory instead of "Program Files" which is causing null file handle pointers to be returned and thus the backed up media library content isn't being loaded. The file path itself has not changed outside this but I still use exactly the same relative path: %s\Winamp\Plugins\%s. The first %s is the usual path to the program files directory. The second %s is where all the backed up files are being placed which is exactly the same as it was before when I was using XP.

StickyJamGamer

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013

Ask the Winamp Community for some troubleshooting steps. That's all I can say. :)

ulillillia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Well, someone on Facebook actually answered it. Windows 7 has all user-saved data not in the Program Files directory like it was before but the application data directory. Simply copy and paste my backup there and it worked. Search for %Appdata%, go to Winamp, plugins, and you'll find the directory where the backup needs to be pasted into.

Back when I used XP (and before that, Windows 98), this info was always in the Program Files directory. Windows 7 changed this and I didn't know that.