Mojopac: A Portable, Protected Virtual PC

nick2000

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
The host PC can be full of spyware capturing your keystrokes or doing screen dumps or even memory dumps and getting password, credit card numbers, etc... from the memory used by the virtual machine.

Some of this can be mitigated against by using an on-screen keyboard as long as the spyware does not _record_ desktop activity using video.

Frankly, even booting your own image on a PC (from a CDROM for ex) does not protect against a hardware keylogger or a video capture of the screen+keyboard+mouse...

Bring-Your-Own-PC would be best... (iPOD is a PC of sorts but lacks some tools)

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
A different PC makes all software needing registry entries **** out and reset to defaults (or go into a not licenced software mode).

Smart novell idea, but a direct copy of U3 which was first to market with the same idea (just this can be installed by users, vs factory install on USB devices like U3).

IMHO: It is just another Internet scam to make money. Sure it has some uses in special cases with special software (not needing to read/write to the registry - which ain't much software these days), but considering VMWare Player is free and both need Admin privledges to install VMWare Player is the superior choice for Linux, Windows, Solaris, etc in a controlled Virtual Machine.

For those that can't read between the lines: MojoPac is not a Virtual Machine.

flasher702

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
The host PC can be full of spyware capturing your keystrokes or doing screen dumps or even memory dumps and getting password, credit card numbers, etc... from the memory used by the virtual machine.

I was going to point this also but I guess I'll just re-iterate: this solution provides near-zero protection from a host machine running malicious or otherwise "eavesdropping" code. You must BOOT into a protected environment to have any expectation of increased privacy (which many internet cafes would not even allow, btw) and visually check for hardware-based spy mechanisms.