Mono Output For Partially Deaf User

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceKing

Estimable
May 19, 2014
I've been deaf in my right ear since birth, so I miss out on audio whenever I use headphones (which is any time I game with friends). My Realtek drivers don't allow me to choose Mono as a configuration. Threads I've read just say to set balance to 100% on one channel, but doesn't that only output the one channel, rather than both channels to one speaker?

Does anyone know a software solution to convert all system stereo audio to mono before ouput, or to output both audio channels to just one speaker in my headphones?

If no software solution, is this what I'm looking for?
Newegg
Will this combine outputs and give me both channels from both speakers?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
if you use a 3.5mm stereo to 3.5mm mono jack then plug stereo headphone in you *may* only get audio on the left side (and the right side completely ignored) depending on how its wired up. this may not be any different than using balance on your computer. of course if its wired up in the same manner as i will list below, it would work however there is no way to know for sure without buying it in most cases.

the best and cheapest hardware option would be to make your own plug. you can make sure its done right and its not hard to do.

buy a male 3.5mm stereo and female 3.5mm stereo solder-on plug. connect the left(tip) on male up to both the left(tip) and right(ring) on female and the right(ring) up to those as well. connect ground to...
if you use a 3.5mm stereo to 3.5mm mono jack then plug stereo headphone in you *may* only get audio on the left side (and the right side completely ignored) depending on how its wired up. this may not be any different than using balance on your computer. of course if its wired up in the same manner as i will list below, it would work however there is no way to know for sure without buying it in most cases.

the best and cheapest hardware option would be to make your own plug. you can make sure its done right and its not hard to do.

buy a male 3.5mm stereo and female 3.5mm stereo solder-on plug. connect the left(tip) on male up to both the left(tip) and right(ring) on female and the right(ring) up to those as well. connect ground to ground. put some heatshrink over the connections and there you go, a cable which will play both the left and right channels on the left of your headset AND on the right.

if you want it to only play on the left earcup... only connect up the two wires from the male side to the left(tip) of the female side and leave the male ring connector alone.

at most it should cost you $5 for parts (likely much less)

Solution

tomc53

Estimable
Jun 6, 2014

I'm not sure you have make and female straight. The end that plus into the computer needs to have the two center contacts wired together, and then the jack (where you plug in the headphones) only connected to the center.

BTW,the adapter you see in NewEgg is right.

Alternatively, you just strip a bit of insulation off the cable a few inches from the plug, find the left and right wires (probably red & black) and twist them together. You might not have to actually cut them, just skim the insulation off for 1/2 inch.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
NO NO NO, Don't do that! The left and right channels will try to drive each other, possibly causing trouble for your amplifier. You need to use a simple resistor network.
Something as simple as http://brashleraudio.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/screenhunter_02-aug-27-19-35.gif can be used. I am deaf in my left ear, and this is pretty much what I did. I built the circuit in an old pill bottle, with about 8" of self-braided wire to a stereo plug, and a mono jack attached to the lid of the bottle.
I use it with my headphones, and it works well. I used slightly smaller resistors in mine; 470 ohms.

Status
Not open for further replies.