Moto G4 adopted storage

saskatunes

Commendable
Dec 8, 2016
I think I have this understood correctly, but looking for some validation. I have a 16 GB Moto G4 on 6.0 and 64 GB SD card. If if set this up as adopted/internal storage, will the phone just keep installing apps, photos, etc beyond the 16GB?

I ask bc after formatting as internal, I still had the option to move some apps to SD card, so I want to make sure this will really function as one larger partition (even if there is some performance slowdown) and not 2 partitions.

Thanks

Update: took a bunch of HD videos of nothing to get me up to the default storage cap and I am getting insufficient storage warnings. So looks like it ultimately is still 2 partitions. Too bad this hasn't been better supported. Back to Moto it goes.

Update 2: looks like once you do a data migrate to SD card it becomes the default storage location. kind of weird but I guess I can work with that. any other similar experiences?

If you have done this through having Android "Marshmallow" and changed the card to "Internal" storage that way, then you are correct. The card becomes the internal storage, so they are no longer separate numbers. It can be a bit confusing as people will assume that the card becomes additional space, but it actually becomes the space. I think that may be one of the reasons that some device, even running "Marshmallow" are being made to not allow this change.

saskatunes

Commendable
Dec 8, 2016

Yes, this was Marshmallow/6.0.1.
To an extent this is true, it will display e.g 15 GB of 65 GB at the top.

However the built in memory and internal SD are still listed as separate volumes, eg 5 out of 10GB (built in) and 10 out of 55GB (SD card). If you fill up built-in storage, yet have GBs free on your "internal" SD card, it will still not let you add any more data that is only permitted to be on the built-in storage. I still had to manually move apps from "internal" to "SD card/external" through the app setting menu, even though these should operate in a unified manner.

Once you perform a data migrate to the SD card it seems to move the default storage for photos, music, apps (that support) to the SD card volume.