Mouse-Maker Razer Hacked, Firmware Infected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]waikano[/nom]Firmware Infected? Since when are drivers considered firmware updates?[/citation]
FYI, the Razer Copperhead,etc has Firmware updates available and the firmware update files were also infected apparently, not just the drivers.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
[citation][nom]doomtomb[/nom]This is why I am a Logitech man.[/citation]
They could just as easily have the same problem as Razor so don't hold your breath. One misconfigured router or missing system update is all it takes. Or just one lazy sys admin, or a persistent hacker or disgruntled employee or...the list goes on.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]maigo[/nom]Well I hope they don't go after the MX Revolution next[/citation]

Exactly. I'm more worried about DNS cache poisoning and forwarders pointing to a duplicate/false site than the original site going down.

tinnerdxp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Imagine the world where someone infects the RTM golden disk of Windows 7... And nobody spots it for few months... :) The biggest botnet ever!
muauuaahahahahahah!

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]tinnerdxp[/nom]Imagine the world where someone infects the RTM golden disk of Windows 7... And nobody spots it for few months... The biggest botnet ever!muauuaahahahahahah![/citation]
You mean the one I'm about to participate in?
YAY!

Fuck razer, expsnive shit.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]waikano[/nom]Firmware Infected? Since when are drivers considered firmware updates?[/citation]

Apparently you don't understand that nearly all PC hardware also comes with a firmware...

A lot of mice just don't let you upgrade it. :) Razer is cool that way - although I love their mice I've had issues with two Diamondback's buttons sticking a little...

zcubed

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
"Because Razer USA's peripherals are mostly geared toward gamers, they are more at risk because they tend to disable antivirus protection to gain more system resources."

Say what? Never heard of any gamers do this. Sounds like a dumb idea and I have been an avid PC gamer for over a decade. Just overclock your graphics card ppl.

gamerjames

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
[citation][nom]zcubed[/nom]"Because Razer USA's peripherals are mostly geared toward gamers, they are more at risk because they tend to disable antivirus protection to gain more system resources."Say what? Never heard of any gamers do this. Sounds like a dumb idea and I have been an avid PC gamer for over a decade. Just overclock your graphics card ppl.[/citation]

Tons of online FPS players do this. They do anything and everything to get an edge, including myself.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]gamerjames[/nom]Tons of online FPS players do this. They do anything and everything to get an edge, including myself.[/citation]

Speak for yourself, I know no one who does that. Then again their computers aren't POS.

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
lol, or you could just get an antivirus that doesnt use a bunch of system resources. I challenge anyone with a computer bought in the past 5 years to be able to tell whether or not eset nod32 is running in the background while playing any game. I'm on a 1.6ghz atom netbook atm, and its using a whopping 2mb of ram and 0% cpu and takes a whole 2-3 seconds to boot, so i don't think disabling it would give any gamer any sort of "edge".

timtaylor25

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
Razer makes great gaming mice, love my Diamondback. Good think I updated my a few months back, before this hit. And I don't disable my AV when I game, not a bright idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.