Solved! Mouse Pointer Jumps When Tapping or Clicking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fajita

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013
I have the HP Spectre (x360 13-4126nn) and I've noticed a problem with the Synaptic's touch-pad. I don't know quite why or when this occurs exactly; it seems to be when moving small distances on the touch-pad and the software is trying to over correct? Quite often the mouse pointer will jump away from where I'm clicking when tapping or clicking the touch-pad. It's very frustrating and any help would be great.

For example, I'll move the cursor over to close a tab on Chrome and tap the 'x' the cursor will then jump back diagonally by no more than 10-ish pixels and it seems to be the same distance each time. It does this in all of windows and not just when closing tabs.

Solution
I was having this problem too, https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/765v37/touchpad_cursor_moves_between_doubleclicking/

I fixed it by manually installing ELAN drivers. N550JV uses touchpad made by Elan like other ASUS notebooks. Manually installing 16.11.3.2 driver in device manager forces Windows precision touchpad to operate where you can get simple gestures etc. within the Windows settings. Single-tap cursor jitter is also gone completely!

So, all in all, it was bad software/driver suite (ASUS Smart Gesture) which caused this issue in the first place.

If your notebook uses Synaptic touchpad then you need synaptic drivers. Search for "enabling windows precision touchpad" and you will see. Like this one...

Fajita

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013

Yeah I've tried checking all of the properties in control panel and the Synaptic's driver. I've already tried updating the drivers and the problem persists. Thanks for your help so far though.

quickresponse

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017

I have the exact same problem. I have tried to no avail:
- Restarting, reinstalling, reformatting, updating, upgrading, checking settings, trying every combination of touchpad settings, etc.

Please someone find a solution. I have an HP I am about to return for refund.

X-FI

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2008
I was having this problem too, https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/765v37/touchpad_cursor_moves_between_doubleclicking/

I fixed it by manually installing ELAN drivers. N550JV uses touchpad made by Elan like other ASUS notebooks. Manually installing 16.11.3.2 driver in device manager forces Windows precision touchpad to operate where you can get simple gestures etc. within the Windows settings. Single-tap cursor jitter is also gone completely!

So, all in all, it was bad software/driver suite (ASUS Smart Gesture) which caused this issue in the first place.

If your notebook uses Synaptic touchpad then you need synaptic drivers. Search for "enabling windows precision touchpad" and you will see. Like this one: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-enable-precision-touchpad-drivers

edit: you need to uninstall all touchpad driver/software completely beforehand.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.