Movies on home cinema - ways to play movies

GoldenSW

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Hi, I'm moving into a new house and I need some advice on how would be best to play movies on a home cinema (the system & TV are good and new) I'll install in my living. My PC is upstairs and I have no laptop. Most of the time, I torrent blu-rays on my PC, so I need a way to play them on my home cinema downstairs and it's a long way for a cable. I've considered buying a good USB, using HDMI (with signal booster & extender because of the distance) and streaming from my PC, but I can't come to a final decision. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot!

Solution
For playing movies on a server in your home you have many options.
1. If your TV has DLNA you can stream them directly to the TV either with WIFI or ethernet. Check the TV manual.
2. You can buy a USB drive and connect it directly to the TV if your files are compatible with the TV. You should have a backup anyway and you avoid wiring or WIFI issues streaming HD video.
3. You can also use Plex on a Roku or an Android TV box with KODI installed.
Any computer with HDMI out can be used as a server too.
Trying to get the output of the upstairs PC downstairs via HDMI will probably cost you more and you would need a tablet to control the PC remotely too,
For playing movies on a server in your home you have many options.
1. If your TV has DLNA you can stream them directly to the TV either with WIFI or ethernet. Check the TV manual.
2. You can buy a USB drive and connect it directly to the TV if your files are compatible with the TV. You should have a backup anyway and you avoid wiring or WIFI issues streaming HD video.
3. You can also use Plex on a Roku or an Android TV box with KODI installed.
Any computer with HDMI out can be used as a server too.
Trying to get the output of the upstairs PC downstairs via HDMI will probably cost you more and you would need a tablet to control the PC remotely too,

Solution

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
i did this with my xbox 360 years ago. the built in media center shared the files form my pc easily. PS does the same thing as well. if you happen to have one of these systems, that could be a solution for you. otherwise, some form of usb stick to be read by the tv set-up is how you'll need to do it. i don't think dlna will work from across the house but i may be wrong there, never tried it outside the same room.