Mozilla Drops Spread Firefox Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

tank

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
This is what happens when a web browser becomes slow. People don't use it. Chrome has provided me with much more speed than mozilla ever did.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Chrome is a slowpoke compared to FF4, really... I don't know why, but on my computer it's really useless, although I've seen it perform just as fast as FF on others. I still prefer FF4, though, because Chrome's "simplistic" interface pisses me off and I don't see why do I need a browser which performs slower than FF, is made by Google (isn't there enough stuff made by them already?) and is a prototype of cloud computing, which I hate? So to a$$ with Chrome... FF was always the best and I hope it will remain so. Although, Chrome is still nice :)

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Chrome is a slowpoke compared to FF4, really... I don't know why, but on my computer it's really useless, although I've seen it perform just as fast as FF on others. I still prefer FF4, though, because Chrome's "simplistic" interface pisses me off and I don't see why do I need a browser which performs slower than FF, is made by Google (isn't there enough stuff made by them already?) and is a prototype of cloud computing, which I hate? So to a$$ with Chrome... FF was always the best and I hope it will remain so. Although, Chrome is still nice[/citation]
I use FF for general browsing, Chrome with "-incognito" switch for easy opening of "don't store anything on the computer" and IE 6 for compatibility on the rare to never cases when needed. I like the interface of FF 2/3, made FF 4 look like it as much as possible, and the main reason why I don't use Chrome for both incognito and non incognito browsing is the over simple UI.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]bloodlover[/nom]FF4 has a "Start private browsing" option. Isn't that the same as "incognito" from Chrome?[/citation]
Chrome has it in a link, as in " "C:\Documents and Settings\virtualban\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" -incognito ", and also does not close the current session to start a new one of private. That's what I meant.

lengjai

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
[citation][nom]bloodlover[/nom]FF4 has a "Start private browsing" option. Isn't that the same as "incognito" from Chrome?[/citation]

altho chrome allows you to have a normal window and an incognito window open at the same time, you cannot have a private FF window and a non-private FF window open simultaneously. that's probably why said person (as well as myself) uses chrome-incognito with regular FF

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
If I have 10 open tabs and windows in FF, and I start private browsing, all of those go hide for me to browse privately. In FF4 they come up again once private ends, but I would rather have both, private and public browsing at the same time. Chrome, even by menu, has "new incognito window", which is really a better implementation than anything else in the competition.

bloodlover

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
So the only advantage is that with Chrome you can have a "normal window" and "incognito window" at the same time...? That's not such a big deal imo.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]bloodlover[/nom]So the only advantage is that with Chrome you can have a "normal window" and "incognito window" at the same time...? That's not such a big deal imo.[/citation]
If there was no Chrome, I would be using 2 separate installations, maybe 2 versions of FF, or 2 completely different browsers. That's me, minority probably.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Well, Chrome and FF are pretty competitive at the moment. On a modern computer, the speed difference will be hard to notice.

However, I tend to prefer Chrome as it gives me fewer plug in crashes and opens a lot faster after a cold boot. As a plus, the add ons tend to use less memory and work better than those for FF.

If only Opera had better web site compability though, as it's the best browser hands down. Too bad CNET and Tom's comment section, amongst others, don't work properly.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Never had a plugin crash with FF after 3.0... However, the starting time IS a pain on slower computers (takes about 5 seconds on my 1.8 GHz Celeron M), but Chrome is JUST as slow for me, if not slower. And on my Core i7, both open within 1-3 seconds, so I still don't see the advantage of Chrome for me =)

[citation][nom]virtualban[/nom]the main reason why I don't use Chrome for both incognito and non incognito browsing is the over simple UI.[/citation]

This tendency to over-simplify UI everywhere nowadays really disgusts me =)

G

Well, Opera has an option for a "New Private Tab" along with "New Tab", so you can have private and normal tabs side by side.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]Kias Saber[/nom]Well, Opera has an option for a "New Private Tab" along with "New Tab", so you can have private and normal tabs side by side.[/citation]
Hey, thanks. I did not know. Downloading Opera now, just to give it a try. Long time since last tested it.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]tank[/nom]This is what happens when a web browser becomes slow. People don't use it. Chrome has provided me with much more speed than mozilla ever did.[/citation]
chrome becomes very slow after you use it for a month or so....mozilla is still faster

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]This tendency to over-simplify UI everywhere nowadays really disgusts me =)[/citation]
I totally agree... But it is a sign of the times. EVERYTHING is dumbed down with zero incentive to LEARN.

Status
Not open for further replies.