Mozilla Responds: Market Share? What Market Share?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshybo7

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
"As stunning as the rise of Chrome is, it's critical to remember that it will take an independent browser like Firefox to keep the pace of innovation alive and limit corporate interest to an acceptable level."

an important consideration. it is kind of on par with a "mom-and-pop" store competing somewhat successfully against wal-mart, which needs to stay alive especially in today's corporate-centric environment.

dfusco

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Google chrome is for your Wall Street banker types.
Firefox is preferred by the people protesting them.

zebassist230

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
[citation][nom]dfusco[/nom]Google chrome is for your Wall Street banker types.Firefox is preferred by the people protesting them.[/citation]

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]dfusco[/nom]Google chrome is for your Wall Street banker types.Firefox is preferred by the people protesting them.[/citation]

I'm a wall street trader that uses firefox! Wow, i didnt know i was even possible!

G

Chrome's market share is being inflated because it's include with Adobe Flash downloads. Market share has never been an indication of anything other than strictly how many people use the browser. Internet Explorer being the top is proof of this, Chrome being second will be further proof.

Device Unknown

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]My if FF didn't crash all the time from Flash......STILL....and didn't suck up half a gig of memory with 3 tabs open I might use it.[/citation]

User error. I have NEVER had any version of FF crash on flash (that i ever remember)
Suck up Half your memory? You sure you are using Firefox web browser? or you just using 1 Gig of ram in your PC?

Get off the bandwagon and learn for yourself.

retrig

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard."
Upvote for having never watched Fox News

"At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought."

Rambling assumes that it was long winded. It was actually short and there was nothing "incoherent" about it. The only rambling incoherence was your own post.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Chrome's rise could be attributed to Google's advertising and seemingly non-stop wallet stuffing of software companies around the world to include Chrome during their software's installation process. Software programs used to typically include an optional Google or Yahoo toolbar. Now, Google's strongly pushing Chrome instead of just a toolbar and it's paying other companies (well) to include it with their software. Mozilla simply can't compete with Google's much deeper pockets when it comes to advertising. Mozilla's advertising for Firefox is miniscule...to the extent I'd be willing to wager many younger, uninformed, and new PC users don't even know Firefox exists.

As for octagon72's claims, I'm on a 2-year old Vista-64 Machine using Firefox 3.6.23. Presently, I have 10 tabs open and Task Manager reports Firefox is using 160MB of memory, with its plug-in containers (2) using another 140MB. (I'm watching Netflix and one site is flash-based.) Mind you, version 3.6.23 doesn't have anywhere NEAR the memory usage optimizations versions 7 and above have. So much for your 'half a gig with 3 tabs open' claim. The only memory issue Firefox still has is its very slow rate of releasing memory it uses.

cyprod

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
[citation][nom]retrig[/nom]Rambling assumes that it was long winded. It was actually short and there was nothing "incoherent" about it. The only rambling incoherence was your own post.[/citation]
It was a quote from billy madison....

joshybo7

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
[citation][nom]jryan388[/nom]How many people still don't know the difference between "its" and "it's"[/citation]

its a mystery :>

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Suck up half a gig of memory....read before sounding like an idiot. Let's see...I have Facebook, THG and CNN open in FF...406MB of RAM plus 15meg for plug-in container. Same 3 tabs in IE9...201MB. You've never had FF crash from Flash?..You sure you are using Firefox web browser?[/citation]
Never had FF crash from Flash here either, always wondered what other people are doing when this happens, as for RAM, I have 15 tabs open 3 using Flash and FF is using 500MB of RAM, with container using 30MB, not bad and again I wonder what you are doing that is causing these problems cause I have yet to see them.

HMRkingpin

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]Never had FF crash from Flash here either, always wondered what other people are doing when this happens, as for RAM, I have 15 tabs open 3 using Flash and FF is using 500MB of RAM, with container using 30MB, not bad and again I wonder what you are doing that is causing these problems cause I have yet to see them.[/citation]

Ram is cheap. Get some more if loosing a half gig is worth crying about.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Ill be sticking with firefox. I've never had a problem with it crashing, and with all the ram I have, I don't care about it using a gig. Gig is the new Meg.

greatsaltedone

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
I have tried chrome and was impressed with the speed but really didn't like the amount of caching that it does.

IMO the only thing that chrome has over FF is it's opening screen. everything else just feels like tricks and gimmicks.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
The problem isn't just how much memory it uses, it's the fact it doesn't seem to do a good job of managing it even for its own purposes. FF has traditionally kept huge amounts of stuff cached in memory, and then still had to resort to the disc cache when it wanted to store more. This can result in huge pauses for disc swapping even when you only have a few tabs open, because everything you've done in your browsing session is still in memory. How much of this is design and how much is memory leaks, I don't know.

FF7 finally does seem to have made some improvement, but how much I don't know yet as I haven't really stressed it yet.

Flash crashes aren't straightforward crashes, they are some sort of race condition where FF takes up your whole CPU and becomes unresponsive because it is trying to process something Flash related, forcing you to kill the program. I know that in at least on case that I could reproduce repeatedly, the Flashblock addon was the cause of this, as it did not happen with it disabled, so that may account for the discrepancy in user experience with regard to flash - some people are blocking it, some aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.