MSFT Confirms 2.5 million Kinects Sold in 25 Days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
[citation][nom]badaxe2[/nom]It should be selling with a $500 million marketing campaign behind it.[/citation]

They came to my University (Simon Fraser University in BC) to show it and served free pizza and pop. I thought it was going to be a tech demonstration since it was taking place in the Engineering, but as soon as i stepped in, I found myself in a advert talk so I stepped out.

More interested in the tech and less in the advert

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
I wonder how many of those have been happy with their purchase..
I mean, I know Microsoft couldn’t care less whether they are or not once they have their cash.

But it’s still interesting..

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]I thought it was going to be a tech demonstration since it was taking place in the Engineering, but as soon as i stepped in, I found myself in a advert talk so I stepped out.[/citation]

You got pizza though, right?

THEfog101

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]They came to my University (Simon Fraser University in BC) to show it and served free pizza and pop. I thought it was going to be a tech demonstration since it was taking place in the Engineering, but as soon as i stepped in, I found myself in a advert talk so I stepped out.More interested in the tech and less in the advert[/citation]

You still received free pizza and pop, what are you complaining about? over here in aus you will get a lecture and some pamphlets and thats about the extent of it lol

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
In Japan, MS was paying people to stand in line to buy the Kinect add-ons/etc. Other stores without the media & paid customers... were business as usual.

I've not seen anyone, anywhere crap their pants on Kinect... anyone here?

toallthehaters

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]In Japan, MS was paying people to stand in line to buy the Kinect add-ons/etc. Other stores without the media & paid customers... were business as usual.I've not seen anyone, anywhere crap their pants on Kinect... anyone here?[/citation]

Jane does every time MS is in the news.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
now here is a funny one...microsoft recalls 2.5 kinect units because someone can remotely access them and see what you are doing in your home, lol...did i mention that there is a chance of getting the red light of death, lol

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]Now where is that dx11 capable console instead of the 2 gen old one (compared to PC) ?[/citation]
consoles will never be able to play games the way a pc does...there is no comparison...pc wins hands down...trust me on this one. i have had 2 xbox 360 and a ps3 and sold them all....what do i have now?...you guessed it, a PC and a Blu-Ray player, lol....there were so many time when my wife wanted to watch a movie but could not because i was trying to play a game, lol...therefore bye-bye PS3, lol

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
dx11 consoles are gonna be another couple years but they have pretty much maxed out the hardware on the ps3 and 360 so expect it i'd say around the holidays 2011 or 2012 and expect the kinect and move to be compatable with the new consoles

but yea pc > consoles... but consoles are cheaper so they each have thier place

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Oh you haters. How you amuse me so.

"MS was paying people to stand in line" (did that come out of the $500 mil ad campaign? ...trying to figure who submitted the expense report on that one)

"MS is deliberately not selling to create an artificial shortage to sell more...of what they are not selling" (yea really...heard this genius comment over and over. Not selling to make money. Sure that works.)

"MS doesn't care if people are happy once they've bought one" (cuz you know NO business is interested in future sales...especially Microsoft).

"It's only selling because of the big ad campaign" (pulling off supercomputer tasks on a $150 device had nothing to do with it)

If you're going to hate on MSFT at least show some intelligence. You do your cause no good with this retarded tripe.

SlickyFats

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
[citation][nom]adamboy64[/nom]I wonder how many of those have been happy with their purchase..I mean, I know Microsoft couldn’t care less whether they are or not once they have their cash.But it’s still interesting..[/citation]

I haven't been so far. I know this comment will get voted down for saying that but its the truth. Of the 3 titles I have played the only one I have enjoyed for at all is Kinect Adventures and that is little more than a tech demo and becomes old quickly. The setup of the unit alone makes me the most angry. It is a long tedious process that has to be redone if you move anything.
Voice commands on it are a joke. Why do you even have to say the initial "XBOX" when the only command you can do from there is say "KINECT"?

I like the technology behind the Kinect I just wish they had some software to back it up. BTW in case you haven't tried it there ARE times you need to have a controller with you.

mjello

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
My friend got one and we had a darn good laugh out of it at a social gathering. Its just hilarious to watch people be the fool and make yourself look like a fool trying to beat the others.

A good advice

Watch the ceiling when you play beach volley rofl. While the device definately has some rough edges. It totally beats the wii in every way. Its just better.

And the potential is awesome, but game designers have to think in a totally new way when making games.
So 3-4 years before the really good stuff comes if they start now.

Still, its a casual gamers toy right now, not for geeks.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
@slickyFats

I hope your comment does NOT get rated down. That would be BS.

That said, I've really liked mine. Kinect Adventures was my *least* favorite game. It's kinda shovelware IMO. My table tennis skills in Sports are getting pretty nuts. I can almost hang with the top difficulty...gotta work on my backspin/top spin changups more..I get predictable with my topspin shots. Playing co-op soccer with my daughter has been awesome. I can even cut a groove in dance central on a few songs (wife has sworn she'll never tell anyone I know that I play it).

I'm totally at a loss on your setup experience. The microphone calibration is lengthy but only needs done once unless you just flat out move to a new room. Everything else can be accomplished in seconds. You can jump from in-game to Kinect Tuner, do your biz, then get back out to your game in like 15 seconds total time...and this 15 seconds only needs to be spent if you move the sensor somewhere. I don't want to say you're doing it wrong but I'm not having any issues here. Can I maybe suggest you are over doing it? IE... you're doing setup when it's not needed?

The voice commands I've found handy too. The "xbox kinect" is just to put you into the Kinect screen...same as waving at the device. From there many more commands are available. "xbox play disc", "xbox espn", "xbox zune" etc. The reason you say Xbox first I thought was obvious. If you're saying "hey man, checkout this new KINECT" you don't want it interpreting that as a command.

Status
Not open for further replies.