MSFT: We Promise Not to Screw Up Skype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I might be in the minority but I actually think this is a good thing for the skype application/services and future developments. Oddly the article didn't mention linux and android developments. I think MS will do a better job in this area than Skype has provided up until now. I guess time will tell.

MS has to do it right because that user base will quickly flock to the next big application like skype that comes around. 8.5 billion is a lot to pay to even take a chance at screwing it up. Essentially they paid for the user base and potential advertising.

G

"CEO Steve Ballmer said during a conference call that things aren't going to change for clients on iOS, Android and Mac-- the company will continue to develop and support those non-Microsoft client platforms as-is."

So I guess that mean Android will never have video-enabled Skype?

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]milktea[/nom]Marriage between Live Messenger and Skype?[/citation]

you mean that thing that gets disabled in msconfig every time i format and install windows?

Really hope MS doesn't screw this up. And yes, Tom's, you've been slacking with your editing process for quite a while now. it's getting rather annoying.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
"That said, CEO Steve Ballmer said during a conference call that things aren't going to change for clients on iOS, Android and Mac" ... so the Linux desktop version is dead? Fuck you Microsoft.

AnUnusedUsername

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Hopefully, they won't try to start charging for it. On mobile platforms that isn't an issue anyway as you have to pay for service. If they try to charge for skype on PC people will simply move to one of the many other nearly-identical services, like ventrillo or teamspeak.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]deltatux[/nom]"That said, CEO Steve Ballmer said during a conference call that things aren't going to change for clients on iOS, Android and Mac" ... so the Linux desktop version is dead? Fuck you Microsoft.[/citation]It's been barely alive for years. Even multi-user AV conferencing took years to be added to the Windows client so I wasn't expecting much on Linux even before the sale. This is a good excuse to go looking for a proper SIP or XMPP/Jingle client or just set up my own BigBlueButton server.

hotlazydaze

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
since moving to the other side of the world 16 years ago and originally paying international landline charges, skype has saved me an absolute fortune on keeping in touch with my family and friends. i can only see this as ending badly for users like me, but i can't complain after so many years of using the service. i also have a 'skype out' account which i use to contact people not online or for customer service calls etc. here's hoping msft doesn't screw this one up...

Status
Not open for further replies.