MSI 62VR 7RE dominator pro laptop - low fps when gaming

fuzakara

Honorable
Jun 28, 2013
Hi guys,

I realize there are quite a few threads on this topic but I'm hoping for individualized advice before taking drastic measures such as a clean reinstall.

I was able to play The Witcher 3 on ultra with good fps, until recently when it dropped to 15 fps all of a sudden. I had never checked the hardware temperatures until now as there were no problems. Obviously now I've installed Afterburner and the temps seem quite high whilst the game is running - about 90-100 C for the gpu and 80-85 C for the cpu. Sure, it's the middle of summer in Korea, so yeah it's hot, but you'd think a laptop of this caliber would be able to handle it.

I've tried the basic remedies - uninstalling and reinstalling the GPU driver, clean boot, trying it with a different game (GTA V ran at 20-30 fps) - but with no luck.

Could this be a software problem or is it more because of the heat?

i7-7820HK 2.90 GHz
GTX 1070 8G
16G RAM
Windows 10

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks!

Solution

faalin

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
All MSI laptops have a fan turbo of some sort, I have and older MSI gt60 2od and it has a touch button up by the monitor. Also if your feeling up to it you can take the back panel off and redo the thermal past on the CPU and GPU, mine had well documented issues of bad thermal from the factory and to clean and replace it.

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

Replace the stock thermal paste with a good quality one. I had to do it on my gt70-ond. It could barely maintain it's clocks even when turbo fan mode was enabled (also just vacuum mode because it was ridiculously loud).

Solution