MSI afterburner 4.5 causing FPS drop with mouse movement

THEwed123wet

Estimable
Nov 19, 2015
so i recently builded my pc and i was testing some games with rivatunner overlay and it was working fine , and now suddenly when i use it , when i move my mouse my fps drop a lot, and when i close the program it goes back to normal ( this happened after i installed csgo but i dont think it's the issue here), i tested on windows 10 1803 creators update

games tested:

TF2 , Warframe , CSGO , rocket league , left for dead 2

my rig:
GPU: 970 FTW
CPU: ryzen 5 1600
ram: 8 gb
SSD:250 gb mx500
Motherboard: Gigabte AORUS x370 gaming 5

Solution

i think i solved it by installing and old version (4.4.2) and enabling custom direct3D support in rivatunner , i still see a little difference in fps like 10-20 ish fps .i don't know if there is a expected hit in performance for using overlays (don't have more pc's to test) i will test in the csgo benchmark map to see if there is a difference or is just me

i already had all...

xSimply1337x

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
With certain games, running Rivatuner on top of the game will cause performance issues and instability as well as crashes sometimes too. Try going into the ravatuner settings and changing the compatibility mode from whatever it's at to another option. be sure to read the pop up carefully to understand the differences between the modes. The modes I am referring to are the 2D, 3D modes.

THEwed123wet

Estimable
Nov 19, 2015
nope it doesn't work , tried changing to Vector 2D , 3D , and raster 3D , tried changing the aplication detection level, and the coordinate space from viewport to framebuffer and it does the same thing

THEwed123wet

Estimable
Nov 19, 2015

apparently it happends even with the overlay disabled and rivatunner closed, maybe it has to do with msi afterburner itself

xSimply1337x

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
before we go accusing afterburner let's take a look at some other things first. I personally use afterburner along with rivatuner and I don't experience these issues.

go through the list and make sure of all of these things first then report back.

Try running the games in question in compatibility mode for Windows 7 and run them as administrator.

Make sure windows is fully up to date.

Make sure nvidia drivers are fully up to date.

Make sure all redist packages are fully up to date. (You can install a complete All In One package for Visual C++ that can be downloaded from MajorGeek)

Make sure all directx files are fully up to date. (You can download and install the Microsoft DirectX SDK to make sure you have ALL DirectX files installed on your PC for maximum compatibility. Be sure to install the VC++ AiO first before installing the SDK or else the AiO won't install properly. after you've installed be sure to check windows update for updates then restart PC)

Try deleting all game files for these games then re installing them.

Report back after having tried these things and tell us if you continue to experience these issues.

THEwed123wet

Estimable
Nov 19, 2015

ok , i will try, i have a problem with the game reinstall part , since i have a dead slow internet (2 Mb/s) it will take a long time to reinstall all the games , like a week or more in total ;/

xSimply1337x

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
No need to re install all games, just the main two you experience this problem on. start with the worst offender and if it fixes the problem then proceed to do it to the other games that have this issue as well. But before reinstalling check on the other stuff first. If all fails, only then should you resort to a reinstall of the games.

THEwed123wet

Estimable
Nov 19, 2015

ok , i will try fortnite , it finished installing like an hour ago

THEwed123wet

Estimable
Nov 19, 2015

ok so let's recap:

1) done

2) my windows 10 is V1803 build 17134.137 (the latest one)

3) updated gpu drivers

4) i installed the latest V++ package , downloaded from Majorgeek

5) i downloaded the directx SDK and got error "S1023" i searched online and apparently it's because i have a newer version of the 2010 package installed

6) i didn't reinstalled the ones that i tested , but downloaded more "light" ones for testing , castle crashers , unturned and fortnite and i experience the same thing on those

so the list of games tested are

TF2, CSGO, L4D2, Castle crashers ,Warframe, Rocket league, Unturned and fortnite and i experience the same behavoir on those games

already tried reinstalling msi afterburner and rivatunner and it didn't work

xSimply1337x

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/disable-game-mode-in-fall-creators-update-windows-10/

Try this. After making the changes be sure to restart your PC and then try some games.

Also be sure to turn off those other settings as well in the settings menu for things like game bar and dvr and crap. Basically anything related to game mode turn it off.

THEwed123wet

Estimable
Nov 19, 2015

i think i solved it by installing and old version (4.4.2) and enabling custom direct3D support in rivatunner , i still see a little difference in fps like 10-20 ish fps .i don't know if there is a expected hit in performance for using overlays (don't have more pc's to test) i will test in the csgo benchmark map to see if there is a difference or is just me

i already had all the game stuff disabled since it caused a lot of issues with a friend of mine , but i did the registry thing just in case anyway

Solution