MSI GE70 apache pro, will boot from external hard drive but not internal.

JollyGreenGiant2

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016
Okay so here goes. I have a MSI GE70 apache pro laptop. It will not boot with the internal hard drive. I have taken out the same hard drive and installed it in a external caddy. From there everything boots up just fine. THe thing is is that BIOS sees the hard drive when installed and i can even load up windows to it while installed internally, but it just wont boot from it. If i take out the same hard drive and use it in a caddy it works just fine. So i know the issue is not the hard drive. I haven even flashed and updated the bios. Any thoughts?

JollyGreenGiant2

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016

Yea i tried this, I completely formatted the hard drive and reinstalled windows 8.1 which is what it was shipped with.

JollyGreenGiant2

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016

This was what i was thinking, its no longer under warranty. So MSI wont do anything about it. I have a mSata port i was thinking about getting a SSD for and using that. Its just funny how i can install windows from the dvd to the hard drive while its internal but it wont boot from it.

JollyGreenGiant2

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016

Well i have had Asus before and prefer MSI, I already have a newer laptop, this is an older one i was getting fixed up for my Dad, i just got the MSI titan gt80 and love it. This is the first issue i ever had with a MSI. but to each their own i guess. I prefer a laptop at the moment cause i have a 2 year old so its easier to put in the closet so he cant get to it. Thanks for the input i was just trying to see what other opinions or if they had any solutions before i broke down and got a new motherboard or anything.