MSI GS70 Gaming Laptop 81 celsius?

Deanz Tinio

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
My laptop is just 2 days old and I bought GTA V on steam and played it online. And I found out my laptop is really really hot! I checked it with CPUIDHW Monitor and the temp was 81 C degrees.
Is this safe? Anyway my specs are:
Intel Core i7 4700HQ
8GB DDR3, 1TB HDD
Nvidia GTX765 2GB DDR5
17.3" FHD

And yes, GTA V runs smoothly!

What do you think? What should I do? Buy a cooler?

P.S. I always play high-end games in plugged in mode because if the laptop uses the battery, the laptop will underclock to lower settings.

Maarsch

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
I assume you're on a desk or other surface which allows for proper airflow? GTA isn't the kind of game I'd play in bed, but it is possible of course.

I had a stand for ergonomic purposes (before I switched to a monitor) and it came with fans. If it is an airflow issue, that would be your best bet. Best one would be a stand which has holes in it to allow airflow underneath and fans in places it makes the most sense for your laptop.

But I don't think it should be running this hot. Something might be wrong. Is it just GTA V? Try something easier, if it runs at the same temps you've got an issue.
Does the CPUIDHW monitor come with a fan RPM monitor / preferences settings?

Deanz Tinio

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
I play in the desk. I use electric fan in the side just to make it cool a lil bit. And yes, I tried Dota 2 with high settings and surprisingly the temp is normal. I also played AC Unity with the lowest settings and the temp would get about 70 celsius and GTA V 80 celsius. So generally, it's about the game. The bigger the game, the higher the settings, the higher the temp will be. Most likely the clocks/gpu/cpu are running too busy which in turn make my laptop so hot! I would say I would buy a cooler, right? What do you suggest? Do I have a issue or is this just normal for gaming laptops?

Maarsch

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
Compared to desktops laptops just aren't built to transfer heat. There's just not enough internal volume to move the air about. So in that respect it's not just you.
Mine certainly gets hot. And it gets worse with age. Keep cleaning those vents!

I have mine on something like this http://www.sybausa.com/pic/CL-NBK68014/phprVuzAX.jpg and then connected to a monitor, keyboard and mouse
If used to have something similar to http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/315RQDeGHNL.jpg though, in order to get the correct height to sit behind it. But you might look into something like http://images.gizmag.com/inline/omax-15.jpg
Or just put the first one I linked on a bunch of textbooks. If they don't have to move they're a lot cheaper.

Maarsch

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
Alright. Happy shopping.
Might as well get one that acts as a USB hub btw. Keyboard, mouse, controller, portable HDD and sextoy disconnected with 1 plug when you want to use that "mobile" feature of the laptop.