MSI GT60 2OC doesn't switch to Nvidia 870M GPU when trying to play games.

Bratalise

Estimable
Nov 16, 2015
Hey guys, maybe someone can shine some light on why my laptop (MSI GT60 2OC) is doing this. It uses the Intel HD 4600 no matter what I do. When i uninstall the Intel drivers it just uses Microsoft basic display drivers. I cant get the PC to use the 870M no matter what I do. This all started when I tried to update my drivers to 358.91.

Here what I've already tried

-Reinstalled Nvidia Drivers

-Disable Intel Graphics

-Set Nvidia Gpu as default card in Nvidia Control panel

-I reinstalled windows 8.1 because I thought it may have been a software conflict.

-Gpu-Z and afterburner both show 0% gpu load on the Nvidia card and constant load on the Intel.

-I've downgraded the drivers to ones I know worked and still no dice.

-My BIOS doesn't list anything about gpu selection either.

I guess the only thing I haven't tried is checking if the card some how burnt out.

I have a hard time believing the card burnt out since I just recently had the Laptop RMA'd to MSi and they replaced the 770M originally in it with a 870M.

After a Little bit of testing I found that running Fluidmark will actually get the card running. But only for that one application.

Also I'm not 100% convinced it isn't a driver issue as when I enable the Context menu and "Show Run with Graphics Processor" in Nvidia control panel the option never actually shows up.

Hi,

First check if both graphics card are listed in Device Manager. It should give you 2 graphics card in Device Manager if they are working properly. Next is they are both listed do a clean install of the driver of the NVIDIA card.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the NVIDIA graphics driver.
- Open Programs and Features and uninstall anything related to NVIDIA.
- Download and install the latest driver from it's support site.
- Here's the link: nvidia.com/download/index.aspx
- After the reboot make sure to set all your games back to user the NVIDIA processor.
- If these doesn't work you may need to contact MSI support.