MSI GT70 can't recognize my Geforce GTX 880m graphics card

DBSoner

Estimable
Nov 2, 2014
A couple of months ago I bought a MSI gt70 laptop ( Windows 8.1), but today something weird happend. When i booted my laptop i logged in and after 5sec, my vent started blowing at 4500 rpm (normally 1500 rpm) wich is really loud. One of my start-up programs is the steelseries engine that provides custom lights and keybindings of my keyboard, today it said that it could not find any steelseries products... the same thing happend when i tried to start the nvidia control panel. I think the reason why my vent is going so hard is because it can't find my NVIDIA graphics card. I really don't think this is a hardware related issue... Can someone help me, because i really need my laptop for school and i can't go in my class with a laptop that makes the same noise as a hairdryer.

I already tried to reinstall all my drivers( there was a CD included)... it succesfully installed my intel HD graphics card drivers, but it is unable to install the nvidia drivers because it cant find any nvidia products.

I also tried to return windows to a previous state.. wich it did succesfully, but with no result :s

My guess is the discrete graphics card (ie the NVIDIA one) is faulty and is therefore no longer detected. If Device Manager does not list an NVIDIA card under "Sound, Video & Game Controllers", and no errors are listed, it's definitely a faulty discrete card that will have to be replaced.

DBSoner

Estimable
Nov 2, 2014

Thank you for your response, i was about to return the laptop to the store to fix it... today i booted up my laptop without any trouble. I was wondering if it is possible that a piece of hardware ( my headset ) wich is connected through USB could be responsible for my system to be confused. My headset often slows down my laptop... is it possible that my piece of hardware could be infected ( ! I know this sounds redicilous, because i know a virus is a piece of software)