MSI GX60 Destroyer vs ASUS N550JK (Best for gaming and daily use).

MSI GX60 Destroyer vs ASUS N550JK

• MSI GX60 Destroyer

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • ASUS N550JK

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

NunOnABike

Estimable
Jun 29, 2014
What should I buy:
MSI GX60 Destroyer vs ASUS N550JK

■ Processor: AMD A10 5750m vs Core i7-4700MQ (i7 wins by a mile)
■ Graphics: Radeon R9 M290X 2gb vs GTX 850m 2gb (R9 wins by a mile)
■ Storage (Stock): 1tb 7200 RPM vs 5400RPM
■ Build quality: Asus is slightly better (depends on user preference).
■ Will upgrade to 16gb in both.
■ Will add a 256gb ssd to both.
■ Price: 1099$ vs 1099$

I want a laptop for college work as well as gaming. I don't need a laptop for editing videos and stuff but need to play all the current gen games in highest settings above 30 fps. Also does boot up and load time depends on processor or I'll be just fine if I use an SSD and R9 M290X on the MSI system. I am a little confused between A10 and i7. Can anyone tell me the difference I am going to observe in using each of the processors in day to day use (not doing heavy video rendering, just playing games, opening simple application and coding).?

Or if you have any other suggestions, can anyone suggest me a laptop in the range of 1099$ with GTX 870m.

Thank You.

asus's build quality is far better, the GX series are always bad compared to the rest of MSI's laptops.
Asus has a far better screen.
Asus has better cooling.
the GX60 weighs a ton by comparison.
definitely get the Asus if you want to use it for school, no contest.

NunOnABike

Estimable
Jun 29, 2014

I want the one gaming! Build quality doesn't matter that much. I mean we all know that star citizen is coming. So which laptop would be fine for playing high end games like SC!

NunOnABike

Estimable
Jun 29, 2014

How? Does processor matters when gaming on high settings. GTX 850m on the asus one is just too low! Whereas MSI is a pure AMD machine. I currently have a dual core i5 2410m with Radeon HD 6470m. I can run Grid autosport on Medium-High settings with 40 fps. So, does processor matters in gaming?

processor only matters when its a bottleneck. And AMD mobile CPUs are just bad for high end machines. the GPU may be about the same as an 870M, but thanks to the CPU the performance is potentially limited.

UbiWan

Estimable
Jul 11, 2014
My advice would be DON'T buy an MSI laptop.

I bought a GX660R when it was brand new out and top of the range and it blew up after two and a half years. So I took it to a repair shop and the tech told me the motherboard had blown and that he couldn't get a replacement from MSI. His advise was to just trash the laptop.

Obviously I was bemused being as it was only 2.5 years old and a high spec. So I contacted MSI and they refused to sell me a motherboard, stating that they had limited stocks and they were keeping them for customers who's laptops were still under warranty!

I literally could not find a motherboard for sale online for it either. So in short, unless you perpetually pay for a warranty you'll be left out in the cold when it comes to parts for an MSI laptop. And MSI don't make many extra motherboards and GPUs for their laptops either.

NunOnABike

Estimable
Jun 29, 2014
Thank you guys for your help but as soon as I was going to press order button on XoticPC over Asus N550Jk, a relative of mine just shoved an Asus G750JS (Singapore version) on my face. It is quite heavy (still not as heavy as I though) but the i7 4700HQ with GTX 870M (3gb) and the design makes up for it. I am quite happy with the new laptop right now. Still, thank you for your help as it has solved some of the questions I was having.