MSI Laptop crashing when playing games but not during stress tests on CPU and GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 7, 2018
When I am playing games such as WoW, Destiny 2, Heroes of the storm, PUBG, Ghost Recon Wild lands my laptop will freeze for a few seconds give a variety of crash color screens then promptly restart. The error logs will show that there was an unexpected restart but nothing else. I attempted to try running some stress tests on the CPU and GPU to try and get the same crashing results but doesn't seem to cause it after running it for an hour. The crash usually happens randomly sometimes within 2 minutes on a game or can run for hours with no problem. Temps are almost always at a reasonable range when this happens between 40-50c CPU and 45-60 GPU.

Computer specs from the order form when i purchased it roughly 1 year ago

FangBook 4
ADAPTER: 230W adaptor
BATTERY: 9-Cell Li-Ion Battery
CD: 8X Ultra Slim DVDRW Internal Drive (CD-140-104)
CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i7-6820HK 2.70GHz Turbo 3.6GHz 8MB Cache
Processor (Unlocked)
FLASHMEDIA: Built-In SD (XC/HC)
HD_M2SSD: 512GB Intel(R) SSD 600p Series PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD - 1800MB/s
Read & 560MB/s Write (Single Drive)
HDD: 1 TB 7200RPM SATA300 Hard Drive [+52]
KEYBOARD: Built-in Full-color Programmable backlight with Anti-Ghost
MEMORY: 24GB (8GBx3) DDR4/2133MHz SODIMM Memory [+60] (Corsair or Major Brand)
MOTHERBOARD: Mobile Intel(R) HM170 Chipset Motherboard
MOUSE: Build-in Multi Touch touchpad
NETWORK: Killer Gigabit LAN 10/100/1000 (Built-in)
NOTEBOOK: 17.3" G-SYNC FHD IPS (1920 x 1080) Anti-Glare Display LCD w/
Programmable Full Color Keyboard, HDMI 1.4, mini display Port 1.2,
Li-Ion Battery & Universal AC Adapter
NOTEBOOK_COVER: FANGBOOK 4 SK-X17 VR Cover
SOUND: Sound by Dynaudior Support 7.1 channel SPDIF output
SPEAKERS: Built-in 2x 3W speakers + 1x 5W woofer
USB: Built-in 6x USB 3.0
VIDEO: NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 (Pascal)[VR Ready] (NB-FANG-216)
VIDEOCAMERA1: Built-in HD 30FPS Webcam [+0]
WNC: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC8260(2x2) + Bluetooth 4.1

Unfortunately the laptop is no longer under warranty so I'm stuck repairing it myself at this point.
P.S. nothing is overclocked to my knowledge

Solution
That looks like GPU or memory related freezing. With unstable cpu you would just get normal freezing or bsod. Search google for memtest , download it and make a bootable dvd or usb of it. When your done go bios and set your dvd or usb as 1st boot device. Let memtest run for atleast 3 passes. You will see it progress it can take some time (hours)

If you get errors it should be most like memory related, smaller change that cpu / mobo related. Atleast it would rule out gpu as the cause thats something.

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
is there bsod message or you just get freezing and it restarts right away? Check bios (delete key on boot you get there) that nothing is overclocked you can do F9 and save, then f10 and it boots. This will put default settings for bios without overclocking,.
Look your manufactor site for bios update for this model, update if you newer version.

Mar 7, 2018

I attempted those steps and set it back to the default settings and continued to use the laptop for roughly 2 days without another crash but alas it just crashed again while playing WoW and the bios was up to date. Any other tips or recommendations to try to diagnose the problem?

Mar 7, 2018
Update : During computer use again i had another crash but under a somewhat different circumstance. During game play no screen flicker but just a momentary screen freeze followed by a just a black screen and immediate restart.

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
download hwmonitor and prime95, test with default settings on prime95 blend. Keep your hwmonitor opened that you see CPU cores temperatures where they go after 10-15mins
For gpu stress testing download furmark and use stress test. press gpu-z sensors and you will see temperature of GPU. If it starts going in 70-80c range you can abort By pressing ESC or esc. Furmark should show you temperature so you dont need hwmonitor for gpu stress testing.

Mar 7, 2018

Ran all the tests and passed everything on the CPU stress test peaking at 90c but mostly staying low to mid 80c most of the time after running for approximately 12 minutes. The GPU stress test i let run for 20 minutes and reached 78c at peak but stayed about 74-77c most of the time.

Mar 7, 2018

Just finished doing a clean reinstall on the graphics driver. I'm going to let it run for a few days due to the inconsistency of the crashes or until the next crash before i respond back. Hopefully its just a software issue and this will solve the problem.

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
prime95 and furmark has are really high temperature / high load stress testers. Thats why temperatures go so high. If your gaming its atleast 10 degrees, more like 15-20c lower. CPU temperature is a bit high though, GPU fine.

Tell me if your crashing still

Mar 7, 2018

That's the weird thing thats got me so confused because it never gives me one thats prompted automatically on a reboot and when I check logs it just stats that there was an unexpected restart. Pretty basic description with little to go on no error code to go by or anything.

Also I've been trying to give it a shot by running it with the special boot option to prevent restart when something fails. I honestly have no idea if this will help or long term damage effects but its been about a day now without the issue which seems promising.

Mar 7, 2018

I'm not sure how to go about doing that (Bought from CyberPower). Also i never got the windows CDs when i purchased the laptop.

Laptop did crash again today and it froze on the crash screen for quite awhile and i was able to take a picture from my phone so im going to put a link to the picture in in the next post.

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
That looks like GPU or memory related freezing. With unstable cpu you would just get normal freezing or bsod. Search google for memtest , download it and make a bootable dvd or usb of it. When your done go bios and set your dvd or usb as 1st boot device. Let memtest run for atleast 3 passes. You will see it progress it can take some time (hours)

If you get errors it should be most like memory related, smaller change that cpu / mobo related. Atleast it would rule out gpu as the cause thats something.

Solution
Nov 12, 2018
Are you still having this issue? If not what did you to to fix this? I think I have the exact same laptop and it's been doing that same thing for a while. Sometimes it goes a long time without having an issue and then sometimes it will crash all the time. The pictures you posted of when it freezes are exactly the same as what mine does

Dec 5, 2018

I have the same problem. It randomly fixed itself a while ago and I was able to play games for about 37 hours before the errors started again. I did a factory reset and the errors continued. Yesterday they randomly stopped again. I have been running various games and benchmarks all day today and yesterday and I can't replicate the errors.

Original Errors:
Crash screen in 0-45 minutes in Dota 2, Terratech, Divinity Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity 2
Crash screen in 0-10 minutes in Borderlands 2, Tyranny, Ancestors legacy
Never crashes in 3DMark, GFXBench, or Superposition regardless of settings or type of tests run in these benchmark programs.

Are you still having this issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.